Hey! Hey!

Shaunc

New elf
Hi Everyone

Just a quick message to introduce myself.

I am located in central Victoria and would like to set about building an RGB LED mega tree.

In the research phase at the moment, reading the manual which directed me to this site.

Cheers

Shaun

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome from another central Victorian.
What part of central Vic are you in? I'm in Eaglehawk,

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL forums Shaun!
Plenty of friendly & knowledgeable people ready to help you out both in the forums and in the chat room throughout the day. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, we're all happy to give lots of answers :)

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi Shaun,
welcome to the mad house. :p reading the manual is a great start, lots of great info in there, and the chat room is another great way of getting good advice from a lot of knowledgable people who are very generous with their time and advice.
Cheers
Fing

scamper

Dedicated elf
Hey Shaun, Welcome aboard.
Good start, go with a bang and put up a mega tree.
Building it always seems to be a case of what you can get your hands on and building around that.
I have heard a lot of people use trampoline frames in one way or another for the frame.
Strings can be attached to many things to hold them in place, I used plastic coated steel washing line from Bunnings and cable tied led's to it. 800 cable ties and my arthritis certainly came to the fore.
anyway. troll through the site, you will find a lot of people have posted how they made their props, and jump into chat if you are after any advice on anything, someone is always there.

Shaunc

New elf
Hi guys

Thank you for the warm welcome :)

I am just near Mt Macedon/Hanging Rock.

I am the sort of guy who likes to jump in the deep end and learn on the fly.

I would have liked to have it completed for this Christmas, however I think that with the time I have available I would be pushing my luck.

At this stage I know I would like a 360° tree about 4m - 5m high.

From there I was thinking of using bullet type addressable RGB LEDS.

I would assume final height would be a function of distances between pixels and whatever the controller is able manage per "run" of LEDs, is that a fair assumption or am I way off?

Cheers

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Don't mean to rain on your parade but you have 6 weeks to order lights get them made & shipped , controllers, learn the software and sequence you might find that tough in the 1st year

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi Shaun,
height is a function which is directly proportional to the depth of your wallet... :p

using pixel nodes with 50 per string and spaced at 100mm will give you 5m string length which is about 4.9 ? ish metres tall
the biggest problem is voltage drop. most people use multiple power injection points (PI) to overcome this.
All controllers are limited to a max number of pixels they can drive per output. with the gap between pixels being a max of around 3-4m ( your milage will vary, ask murphy)

Cheers
Fing

Shaunc

New elf
Hi Fing

Right you are :D

I don't usually set budgets for projects like this. If it means I need to save more, then I save more.

At least now I know what I looking for in pixel strings.

Cheers

i13

Dedicated elf
Welcome to ACL

I agree that it would be difficult to set up for this year but please don't give up on the idea of a mega tree; it can't hurt to start learning now regardless of whether you get a tree running this year. If you do aim for next year (always a lot of work but it would be a reasonable goal), the best plan would be to read all forum posts as they appear throughout the year, ask plenty of questions and build up the knowledge you need to make informed decisions and get exactly what you want. I've been here for two years and am still learning.

If someone else tells you what they'd use then they're not as able to take into account your precise preferences and requirements becuase there are so many options. Having said that, it is still a good idea to post your first shopping list on the forums and get feedback.

It is quite common to zig-zag light strings up and down the tree. For example if you had a controller with 340 pixels per output then you could have 6 strings of 54 pixels on each controller output which is 324 pixels. Power injection would be essential if you do it this way. When it comes to spacing, some pixel sellers will give you whatever pixel spacing you want; just remember to specify that it is centre-to-centre spacing or they can get it wrong - it's rarely 100% precise.

There are other things to take into account when choosing pixel strings such as the voltage and the type of IC.