Hi All

Doctor_007

Apprentice elf
Hi Everyone,

I'm another serial tinkerer and have been testing out a few Christmas lighting ideas over a last couple of years. Hoping to get in touch with like minded people. I started using my pi and lightshowpi to get simple setup last year. Looking to use pixel lights this year and possibly move away from the pi and maybe try the Falcon or similar controller and possibly trying wireless ones. If anyone has some guidance it would be greatly appreciated! Will start reading through the forum to get me started.

Thanks in advance!

Matt.

CrazyCatLady

New elf
Welcome Matt, ask if you have any questions :thumbsup:
The mini expos are all happening soon...not sure how far you are from the QLD one but well worth attending

scamper

Dedicated elf
Hi and welcome Doc.
When you say move away from the Pi. I assume you are using it as a controller and all atm?
You will still use it as your show computer to run the sequences but just output them to a falcon controller.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, you have come to the right place for like minded people who will help you take your Christmas display to the next level

videoman3857

Full time elf
Welcome Matt,
You are certainly at the right place to get help for your C.L.A.P.
As a newbie I have migrated to apprentice and need all the help I everyone chips in.
Have fun and remember the C.L.A.P gets worse every year. :D

Doctor_007

Apprentice elf
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
I'll love to have a look at the mini so will see if I can get there. Not having seen one before, whats it all about (besides the lights!)?

Hi Scamper. I actually use my pi for retro games for the rest of the year (for the kids of course...) so was thinking about setting up an old PC for the lights. Though I have been thinking of purchasing the current model which would free up my old one.

Regards,
Matt.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I'll love to have a look at the mini so will see if I can get there. Not having seen one before, whats it all about (besides the lights!)?

The mini is a great time to get hands on with different controllers and lights and to also be able to pick the brains of others, face to face. Its also a great chance to meet others that enjoy the same hobby. For anyone new this can be invaluable

scamper

Dedicated elf
Hi Scamper. I actually use my pi for retro games for the rest of the year (for the kids of course...) so was thinking about setting up an old PC for the lights. Though I have been thinking of purchasing the current model which would free up my old one.

Regards,
Matt.
I would def get a new Pi. You can sequence on a computer of choosing, but nothing beats the stability of a Pi to run the display. I used a laptop the first year and had slow downs, freezes, crashes. you get the picture. Then when I got the Pi running, i have not had a single problem for the last few years. I bought a wi pi for it last year, which made it even better as I no longer have to manually unplug and load new sequences on the usb when I modify them.
So the answer to your question is.... YES! buy a new Pi :)