Hi Everyone - First year member in Northern California

17CTD

New elf
Hi Everyone!

A USA member, I just joined to hopefully lurk and learn from all of the veterans here. I'm starting my first pixel display this year and I'm currently in the middle of building everything.

I used HolidayCoro to help me get started and now I'm just working through all the specifics in getting the display put together and programmed.

Current Setup:
12V Pixels (~5k total)
HinksPix Pro with long range extension board and 16 outputs.
2 - 16 Port Smart SPI boards as "slaves" in their own enclosures
(Basically 3 enclosures each with 16 outputs running without power injection - This was done as part of HolidayCoro's design they did on my behalf)

Initially HC designed the system where I would be manually wiring icicles into the system but when I realized how much cutting/splicing and soldering that would require, as well as the huge PITA it would be to program in Xlights, I went out and bought 10 strings of Ray Wu's prebuilt 2811 (3,4,5 drop) icicles.

Four 46" Singing Tree's
Twelve 24" Coro Snowflakes
Outline spaced at 2" with pre-built Ray Wu Icicles. (Outline will be ran separately from icicle line) but open to suggestions here.

All props and outlines/icicles are using 2811 Smart 3 wire RGB's.

My rough math for node counts/icicles/props and available outputs:

3x16 Outputs = 48 Outputs Available in Total:

4 Singing Faces x 3 outputs per face = 12 outputs used
Plus 12 Snowflakes @ 48 Nodes = 12 outputs used
(24 Outputs used for Faces/Snowflakes)

Outline @ 2 Inch Spacing - Node Counts:

Left Gutter: 51 Nodes (1 output)
Left Window: 150 Nodes (2 output - 75)
Front Door: 132 Nodes (2 output)
Front Door Eve: 63 Nodes (1 output)
Second Eve: 120 Nodes (1 output) - Lowered node count due to lack of outputs and visibility from ground. (Was initally two but ran out of outputs)
Garage Eve: 143 Nodes (2 output)
Garage: 132 Nodes (2 output)
Garage Window: 114 Nodes (1 output)
Right Gutter: 30 Nodes (1 output)

13 Outputs in total used for Outline

Each Icicle: 60 Nodes per 118 inches

11 outputs left for Icicles (just the top):

Left Gutter: 1 output
Left Window: 1 output
Front Door: 1 output
Front Door Eve: 1 output
Second Eve: 2 output
Garage Eve: 2 output
Garage: 1 output
Garage Window: 1 output
Right Gutter: 1 output

11 Lines for icicles.

All 48 available outputs are now used.

If anyone has better ideas on how to wire the outline and icicles I'm all ears but it seems like each section is going to require a line for the outline and a separate line for the icicles so that I stay under the 120 node count per string/output, avoiding power injection. I'd like to avoid PI this year if at all possible as it will require more power supplies and hardware purchases and I already burst through the agreed upon budget with the wife this year but suggestions are always welcomed!

Couple other obstacles I'm trying to work out are: How best to mount the singing faces to the eve/soffits of my house, as they're pretty heavy and I would rather not destroy the wood fascia of the house. The rest of the house is stucco and I'm definitely not drilling into that.

Lastly how to mount the PVC to my gutters, I've got PVC clips for the wood fascia for the rest of the house but haven't found good gutter clips for 1/4" PVC pipe for the left and right gutters.

Anyways that's my project and my particulars for the time being, any advice, suggestions are welcomed and thank you in advance for any help you are willing to provide!

Attachments

• Outline_2.jpeg
    Outline_2.jpeg
    475.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Layout v2.png
    Layout v2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 21

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL. Sounds like you have a good plan for a first year display! First year can be overwhelming so don't bite off more than you can chew. You can always add to the display next year. The only thing you wont find much support here would be the HinksPix controller. Good luck with HC helping out... Best of luck with the display. Don't hesitate to ask questions, lots of helpful people here.

17CTD

New elf
Welcome, love your layout looks good.

Thank you!

Welcome to ACL. Sounds like you have a good plan for a first year display! First year can be overwhelming so don't bite off more than you can chew. You can always add to the display next year. The only thing you wont find much support here would be the HinksPix controller. Good luck with HC helping out... Best of luck with the display. Don't hesitate to ask questions, lots of helpful people here.

Thanks Uncle Dan, any chance you'd mind giving me your opinion on hanging the singing faces from the eves and hanging the PVC from the gutters? Still trying to work that out as part of the build.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
Stucco house and tile roof is a pain. What my house is too... No experience here on mounting lights to the gutters. Do you have room to mount them under the gutters? Thats what I do. Only option I see for the faces is to make a frame to support them and hang them from the fascia. Can you relocate them to somewhere a little easier like the grass?

17CTD

New elf
Stucco house and tile roof is a pain. What my house is too... No experience here on mounting lights to the gutters. Do you have room to mount them under the gutters? Thats what I do. Only option I see for the faces is to make a frame to support them and hang them from the fascia. Can you relocate them to somewhere a little easier like the grass?

Thank You! - Its all metal, even under the gutters, I had seen that mentioned before but unless I tried to place them behind the gutter which would defeat the purpose because instead of seeing the outline it would just be the glow, appreciate the thought though.

As for the faces, I hadn't considered putting them on the yard. I have built 2x4 frames for them already and plan on mounting something to the frames to hang them just wasn't sure if there was a trick to getting them onto the house without permanently damaging or affixing something to the house. I'll see what I can about putting them on the lawn though that is an interesting idea I didn't consider.

Tom Zheng

Apprentice elf
Hi Friend,
Good to know you here.
I am Tom from ETOPLED.We are professional supplier for pixels/pigtails/extensions/PSU.....etc.This is our online store.
Please follow our store and feel free to contact us if you have any questions.Thanks for your inquiry.
www.aliexpress.com/store/4478030

Best regards
Tom