Hi everyone!

jollyzee

New elf
Well, where to start .... location would be good ...
Located in the US, north western Louisiana (NOT New Orleans!) and I have for the last 4 years been watching Christmas light videos or as my granddaughter calls them 'dancing lights'. Still working full time which doesn't leave much to work on this new hobby. Being a programmer and prior experience in electronics I'm just falling right into this. Watched 'a few' how to videos - very educational! So I've decided that this year I will start with a layout - and I'm starting small - windows, roof outline. Hoping to get that done for Christmas

Later ...
jollyzee

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Hello and welcome @jollyzee !
I'd say 'Read up on the ACL 101 manual. https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/auschristmaslighting-101-manual.1889/.' but at the time of writing this I see you're on that page.
(That can be changed in privacy settings).

- As I saw a comment on a newbie's Facebook post:
"Hope your single, rich, and have a full liquor cabinet."

Read up, study, study, plan and repeat. Make sure you know what you're wanting before you spend money!

Programming and electronics is a nice trait to have in this hobby, it'll come in very useful.
Once your comfortable in this hobby you'll be able to give back with these talents :).

Keep up the engagement in the community, that's what makes it such a nice place to be.
Enjoy the never ending money pit hobby!

jollyzee

New elf
Hey Mark,
"Hope your single, rich, and have a full liquor cabinet." - Well unfortunately neither of them apply to me
Have downloaded the manual - I'm very impressed with the layout - very good info even for me

Thanks for the encouragement everyone is giving

Later ...

TerryK

Retired Elf
Hi jollyzee:

In addition to Mark's greeting I would add, ACL's forum and media archives and Wiki have a lot of information to help too. Also check forums and knowledgebases in other Christmas sites. Cheers.

Dreamin

Full time elf
Welcome Jollyzee

Lots of knowledge on here. Read up, decide what you want to achieve, start early, and get in to it (that took me a few years). I was a bit overwhelmed when I first looked a few years ago, but now that I have started I must admit it's not so hard. There is just a lot of things going on. It's just getting your head around some things, and you need to have skills in all areas, or friends that have skills. :) It's a fun mixture of computers, electrical and creativity (music, sequencing, props). Maybe start small, and have some fun your first year.
When the recent online mini videos get posted they would be great to watch to see what the hobby is all about.
I disregard the cost of it all, most hobbies cost money, it's the enjoyment that you get out of it, and the community you live in that counts. I can't wait to see my sons reaction when I get them all running! He loves lights and that will make it all worth while for me.