Hi from Albany Creek, Brisbane

QLDKing(Brad)

Senior elf
Hi all

So I have been watching the forum since Christmas and thought time to officially say hello. After many years of saying to the kids let's do that next year, the year has finally come so time to get some brownie points from the kids (and the wife).
I have read the 101 a few times now, but I'm the kind of person that until I see it I won't understand it.

So far I'm into this time spent on learning xlights for mac, listening to music to try and get some ideas, watching YouTube for more ideas, and reading all the posts in the forums.

I'm interested in understanding what funds I need to acquire from the minster of treasury to try and complete what I would like.

I would like to:

1 - Have 4 x spiral trees. My welding skills are non existent so I brought a 150cm spiral obelisk plant trainer from Bunnings (see photo) to see how it looks. I like it (as it has the spirals already on it so I can get the spacing spot on) so will buy some more and just add the lights.

2 - have with a mega tree. I see this as a great foundation to have and it would be a focal point, especially in my early years. I have been trying to get an idea on a size and cost. But have not been able to find it. I think I would like to go with a 180 deg tree. But not sure of height.

3 - (funds permitting) a matrix for the front fence (size of the fence is around 2 mt wide x 1.5 mt high).

4 - (funds permitting) possibly just some multi colour strip lights to start highlighting windows etc.

As said above I am going to go with xlights for mac for sequencing (unless the items I purchase mean I need to use something else). So I would like the lights to be able to run all the effects (pictures, colour changes etc). I'm happy to use the mac to run the lights, but I read I could export to USB and put it in a Pi??

What would I need to purchase and some ball park costs for the purchases would be appreciated? I have been reading about minis and would definitely be attending one in Brisbane in the future if one is held.

Another (probably regular) question, but how can I tell if my current lights are able to be included in the sequence, even if it's just to turn off and on?

I'm sure I got more questions but for now I think that's enough.

Thanks all for your time

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_4691.JPG
    IMG_4691.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 18

DavidJ247

Full time elf
Welcome Brad. Some good plans there and great you're starting early, plenty of time to learn and build by Christmas. It's a fun hobby and this community is full of folks with all levels of expertise willing to give time and advice so ask away.
2016 was my first year with a sequenced display and I did a few things similar to what you are planning, spiral trees, strip and integrating existing Christmas lights. Check out my walkthrough video here https://youtu.be/nUg-CD4e7Fo .
I'll try to answer some of your questions below.

Qldking said:
Hi all

So I have been watching the forum since Christmas and thought time to officially say hello. After many years of saying to the kids let's do that next year, the year has finally come so time to get some brownie points from the kids (and the wife).
I have read the 101 a few times now, but I'm the kind of person that until I see it I won't understand it.

So far I'm into this time spent on learning xlights for mac, listening to music to try and get some ideas, watching YouTube for more ideas, and reading all the posts in the forums.

I'm interested in understanding what funds I need to acquire from the minster of treasury to try and complete what I would like.

I would like to:

1 - Have 4 x spiral trees. My welding skills are non existent so I brought a 150cm spiral obelisk plant trainer from Bunnings (see photo) to see how it looks. I like it (as it has the spirals already on it so I can get the spacing spot on) so will buy some more and just add the lights.
I have the same bunnings trainers with a full WS2811 strip (5m) on each and they work great, relatively simple build just attach the strip with some cable ties and you can create some great effects with xlights.

2 - have with a mega tree. I see this as a great foundation to have and it would be a focal point, especially in my early years. I have been trying to get an idea on a size and cost. But have not been able to find it. I think I would like to go with a 180 deg tree. But not sure of height.

3 - (funds permitting) a matrix for the front fence (size of the fence is around 2 mt wide x 1.5 mt high).

4 - (funds permitting) possibly just some multi colour strip lights to start highlighting windows etc.
Personally I love the look of strip on house outlines, windows, roof lines etc. You can cover so much area and have such a big impact for a relatively minimal cost.

As said above I am going to go with xlights for mac for sequencing (unless the items I purchase mean I need to use something else). So I would like the lights to be able to run all the effects (pictures, colour changes etc). I'm happy to use the mac to run the lights, but I read I could export to USB and put it in a Pi??
No reason you couldn't run a show directly from the mac but well worth considering a Pi and FPP (Falcon Pi Player, which is the software that runs on the Pi). For a cost of around $50 +usb stick and micro sd card you can set and forget and free up your mac for other things.

What would I need to purchase and some ball park costs for the purchases would be appreciated? I have been reading about minis and would definitely be attending one in Brisbane in the future if one is held.
Cost is always a tough question because there are so many variables. My advice would be to first focus on key equipment, there are certain things you will need for any display such as controller(s), power supplies, cabling etc if you start with say a pixel controller (and if you decide to integrate your current lights these will likely require a DC/DMX type controller as well, often referred to as a 'dumb' controller) and a few power supplies and cables you will have the backbone of a system which can grow. When it comes to lights buy as much as your budget allows and just keep adding as you go.
And yes, minis are great, there is always something to learn.

Another (probably regular) question, but how can I tell if my current lights are able to be included in the sequence, even if it's just to turn off and on?

Thanks all for your time

Brad

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi Brad. Officially welcome to ACL!
Starting from scratch and building all of those elements in your first year is a steep learning curve, but certainly isn't impossible. However, it can work out to be expensive, particularly buying it all at once, and I'd imagine the order value (and physical size) would be so large that freight charges would be high, plus if it's too expensive (usually over USD$1000) then Customs becomes involved and adds on extra costs. My advise is to pick one-two of your elements first, buy the required equipment and materials (as David mentioned, lights, controller(s) PSUs and cables at bare minimum) and get those up and running. Then later in the year, time & money permitting, add to it.
Incidentals can also add up quickly, including, but not limited to, tools (wire cutters, heat gun, glue gun, crimpers, knifes/blades) soldering iron/station, multimeter, fuses/fuseblocks, terminal connectors/blocks, heatshrink, weatherproof containers, cable glands, conduit, screws..... I could go on!
Have fun, ask questions, we're all here to help one way or another :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, you will find lots of info and help here to get you on your way. At first it may seem overwhelming but the pieces do fall into place. A great place to start is with the ACL 101 lighting manual found here

https://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1889.0.html

QLDKing(Brad)

Senior elf
djgra79 said:
Hi Brad. Officially welcome to ACL!
Starting from scratch and building all of those elements in your first year is a steep learning curve, but certainly isn't impossible. However, it can work out to be expensive, particularly buying it all at once, and I'd imagine the order value (and physical size) would be so large that freight charges would be high, plus if it's too expensive (usually over USD$1000) then Customs becomes involved and adds on extra costs. My advise is to pick one-two of your elements first, buy the required equipment and materials (as David mentioned, lights, controller(s) PSUs and cables at bare minimum) and get those up and running. Then later in the year, time & money permitting, add to it.
Incidentals can also add up quickly, including, but not limited to, tools (wire cutters, heat gun, glue gun, crimpers, knifes/blades) soldering iron/station, multimeter, fuses/fuseblocks, terminal connectors/blocks, heatshrink, weatherproof containers, cable glands, conduit, screws..... I could go on!
Have fun, ask questions, we're all here to help one way or another :)
OMG [emoji44]. What am I getting myself into. I could be doing a lot of outsourcing......

QLDKing(Brad)

Senior elf
DavidJ247 said:
Welcome Brad. Some good plans there and great you're starting early, plenty of time to learn and build by Christmas. It's a fun hobby and this community is full of folks with all levels of expertise willing to give time and advice so ask away.
2016 was my first year with a sequenced display and I did a few things similar to what you are planning, spiral trees, strip and integrating existing Christmas lights. Check out my walkthrough video here https://youtu.be/nUg-CD4e7Fo .
I'll try to answer some of your questions below.

Qldking said:
Hi all

I would like to:

I have the same bunnings trainers with a full WS2811 strip (5m) on each and they work great, relatively simple build just attach the strip with some cable ties and you can create some great effects with xlights.

Personally I love the look of strip on house outlines, windows, roof lines etc. You can cover so much area and have such a big impact for a relatively minimal cost.

No reason you couldn't run a show directly from the mac but well worth considering a Pi and FPP (Falcon Pi Player, which is the software that runs on the Pi). For a cost of around $50 +usb stick and micro sd card you can set and forget and free up your mac for other things.

Cost is always a tough question because there are so many variables. My advice would be to first focus on key equipment, there are certain things you will need for any display such as controller(s), power supplies, cabling etc if you start with say a pixel controller (and if you decide to integrate your current lights these will likely require a DC/DMX type controller as well, often referred to as a 'dumb' controller) and a few power supplies and cables you will have the backbone of a system which can grow. When it comes to lights buy as much as your budget allows and just keep adding as you go.
And yes, minis are great, there is always something to learn.

Thanks all for your time

Brad

Is this a good buy for the Pi? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raspberry-Pi-3-Model-B-1-2-GHz-Quad-Core-CPU-Wi-Fi-Bluetooth-LE-/201533139822

DavidJ247

Full time elf

QLDKing(Brad)

Senior elf
DavidJ247 said:
OzAz said:
Agreed, that ebay listing is US stock in US$ you can get a Pi cheaper and faster locally. Core, e14 or since I see you are in Qld, there is a Qld reseller called Remapping Brilliance www.buyraspberrypi.com.au
So this one with wifi and Bluetooth ? https://www.buyraspberrypi.com.au/shop/raspberry-pi-3-model-b/

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I just bought a Pi the other day with a touch screen

check here for Pi stuff as well
https://wiltronics.com.au/product-category/raspberry-pi/