Hi, from Kangaroo Flat in Victoria :-)

james_o100

New elf
Hey All,

Long time lurker, first time poster.
Decided it was time to come out of the shadows.

I've been doing some static displays now for approx 10 years, and am extremely keen to get into some more animation.
I have quite a few wooden cutouts of varying designs, a couple of inflatables and a tonne of old rope light and fairy strands which are on their way out.

I've been doing a lot of research on controllers including looking at LOR controllers / Raspberry Pi / DMX etc, and met with and had a chat to Alan (AAH) from Eaglehawk a couple of years ago after admiring his display for a while.

Hoping to get my head around RGB etc, and aiming to spend a couple of hundred dollars on setup this year.
Quite keen to just start basic with a couple of leaping arches and/or christmas trees etc.

Any tips or hints on where to begin would be appreciated.
Hoping to duck out and and see Alan again for some guidance soon!

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL James. You have a great nearby contact in Alan already, but I suggest reading the 101 manual to get info on all types of lights, controllers and hardware required. As far as buying equipment this for a show this year, i'd say unless you can find any locally you may have left your run too late. Busy time of the year for the overseas vendors plus with all the volumes being shipped around the world this time of year, expect shipping delays.
Good luck with your display, we look forward to seeing your progress :)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
It's a bit rude when someone turns up with a copy of the ACL101 and doesn't want it signed ;)
I'm always happy to help out other locals get their lights blinking merrily. I think it's about 6 displays in Bendigo I'm involved in in some way now.

james_o100

New elf
Thanks everyone for the feedback and welcome.

Keithsw1111 - I've actually already watched your video!
Was an awesome resource, thankyou.

AAH - I'll have to get you to sign it later, when I come back to pickup my order!

djgra79 - Alan might have me sorted with the required controllers etc. It's a work in progress! :)