Hi from NW Tas

TritonTAS

New elf
Hello people,

I have been cruising around the site for a couple of days, I'm looking at giving the Christmas lights a crack. Not overly sure how I'm going to go this year. Whether time and money will permit? Anyways, if you don't have a go, I suppose you will never know?! So here I am!

A little about myself... after playing around with home automation and getting that to a point where I am content. I have turned my attention back to Christmas lights. I have had xlights and audacity on my computer for about 2 years now. Think it is about time I get more familiar with the software and put them to use. Besides, I need something to keep me of the streets. Whilst dabbling in home automation, I started playing with RasPI's, ESP8266 and RGB Leds. I thought I am dangerous enough now to get to making Christmas lights.

I am an electronics technician by trade and enjoy keeping up to speed with evolving technology.

Currently I have made three ESPixel modules, and started planning the layout on the house. Configured a RaspberryPi model 3 B+ and a Zero W with FPP. Using an old Telstra modem/Router, 5v and 12v power supplies as well as led strips. I think my first year for a display will be fairly basic. My biggest goal is to configure and construct elements that are going to be modular for ease of setup and storage. Also to be as aesthetically pleasing to the house during the day time.

Looking forward to learning, sharing and getting to see other setups around my area.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL. Always good to see another electronics tech around.
Make sure you download and have a read of the ACL101 if you haven't already. Reading that will keep you off the streets a bit longer :D

TritonTAS

New elf
Thanks Dave, have got three ESPixel's working so far. Bought a 12v Ws2811 strip off eBay which arrived today so I quickly connected that up tonight. Having flickering issues with it at the moment. So need to investigate that further over the weekend. I have a couple of ws2812b strips that I think I may use instead. On.y just figured out the ws2811 strips light up in groups of three. Might have to rethink how I can use them.

SantaClaws

Apprentice elf
Thanks Dave, have got three ESPixel's working so far. Bought a 12v Ws2811 strip off eBay which arrived today so I quickly connected that up tonight. Having flickering issues with it at the moment. So need to investigate that further over the weekend. I have a couple of ws2812b strips that I think I may use instead. On.y just figured out the ws2811 strips light up in groups of three. Might have to rethink how I can use them.

Greetings from the Gold Coast,
Looks like you made the same mistake I did - one chip/3 LEDs.
I put together my first Christmas display in 2016, mostly with 'dumb' LEDs, but with a few Ws2801 (5v) strips.
Last year I progressed to P10 panels, controlled with a BBB, and more WS2801/11. It was very successful.
This year I'm looking at a more integrated display with a megatree etc.

Best advice to someone starting out - don't give up.
The ACL website is brilliant with lots of members all willing to help ( I couldn't have got so far without them).

All the best in your endeavours.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL Triton!
Good to see you're diving in and have already started tinkering. You should get something up and running this year, but don't be too disheartened if you don't have a huge display first off. This hobby (particularly the sequencing) can be a steep learning curve and many members including myself have just been building and adding every year.
Regarding the 3LED strips, I use these for roof/garage outlines, on my spinners and in arches, and the pixel modules I use also are the same (3 LED 1 chip) inside my coro singing faces. I think they work just fine and as most of it is a little further away form the viewing area and I diffuse it a bit, you don't need the definition. Of course if you want the definition then go for the 1LED/1IC types. Baring in mind, you're channel count increases dramatically just to cover the same surface area, so make sure you have sufficient channel count capabilities in your controller(s).
Cheers, Graham

TritonTAS

New elf
Thanks guys,
The WS2811's won't be wasted. I just misread the listing and thought 12V ones would be good. If I cant use them for Christmas lights, they will get used as accent lighting in the Home automation. I do like your idea Graham, so i reckon that is where i will pursue.
Cheers.