Hi from Rochester, NY

dewhockey

New elf
Newbie here, hoping to learn enough to get my house looking as sweet as all you seasoned vets. It's gonna be a long journey, any help getting me started would be awesome.
Todd

dewhockey

New elf
Thanks all, I hope to get my head around this new obsession soon. Does anyone know if there's a free program that lets me draw a rendering of my house, preferably in 3d, that helps me plan a set up

franky_888

Full time elf
Hi,

Welcome to ACL!

dewhockey said:
Thanks all, I hope to get my head around this new obsession soon. Does anyone know if there's a free program that lets me draw a rendering of my house, preferably in 3d, that helps me plan a set up

In most sequencers, people insert a photo of their house to overlay their elements on to. For the purposes of setup / measurements I've found Trimble SketchUp to be quite useful and easy enough to learn.

http://www.sketchup.com/

SketchUp was originally released by Google but later sold to Trimble.

Personally, as my display is going to have 2, possibly 3 sides of the house covered eventually, I won't be able to reliably overlay everything onto one photo, so I'm going to draw it in with SketchUp, screenshot it, and use that as a background in the sequencer.

Read the 101 manual, ask lots of questions! Good Luck!

franky_888

Full time elf
keithsw1111 said:
XLights allows multiple 2d previews which can be useful for wide properties or corner blocks.

The more you know hey? Thanks Keith you may have saved me some work :)

dewhockey

New elf
:D Cool stuff, thanks for the help. I have been studying the 101, it's just a lot of info for my little brain! I have been decorating with incandescent for 20 years, and have never had the same set up 2 years in a row ( I get bored easily ). This will be a huge leap for me to go pixel and incan mixed