Hi from Sunshine Coast QLD

Dreamin

Full time elf
Hi,

I googled and found you guys! Just what I was looking for.

I have a visually impaired child who just loves lights, and you can image he loves this time of year and multiple drives around our neighbourhood to see the lights, and also a nightly walk to a few near by.

We had a trip to Brisbane last week and happened upon a house in Yeronga that had a tune in to 88FM sign up and there was a bus load of people looking at their display that changed according to the song. Amazing, I think we were there for a good half and hour! lol

Needless to say that I would love to do something similar. I have quite a few lights (not sure if I can use them), a few inflatables, but would like to just make my yearly light set up more amazing for my kids, and for the local neighbourhood. I haven't seen anyone in my immediate area using any form of control, they are mostly just a lot of lights.

Pity I missed the sales for light though, but I hate boxing day sales!

Is there anyone on the Sunshine Coast I can contact that might be able to show me their set up or assist with mine?

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Hi welcome aboard, there's quite a few Queenslanders on here, drop into chat some evening you might find some there too.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL. There are many Queensland members that put on a show so hopefully someone may come forward that lives near you.
The issue now is that most are now shutting down their displays for the year and are now recovering after the big show season. So you may not get too many at this time of the year as many are either on holidays or relaxing after the Christmas season.

Dreamin

Full time elf
I have time to prepare for next year even if I just ad an element of lights to music I would be happy. I have a lot of reading to do and I can imagine a lot of questions. [emoji106]. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi
welcome aboard... If you haven't already found it start here https://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1889.msg17038.html#msg17038

Cheers
Fing

videoman3857

Full time elf
Welcome aboard Dreamin.

Where on the Sunny Coast are you ?
I am at Glass House Mountains.

I am a newbie too. Christmas 2016 was my first with controlled lights.
A majority of my display is "Store bought" lights with their controllers.
They will eventually be[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] replaced or converted.
[/font]I was totally confused over the whole thing, but I attended a "Christmas Mini" mid year and it helped a lot.
The community here is great. No question is dumb. If you don't know, you don't know and the only way to find out is to ask.
I have a light o rama system. I purchased 18 x 2nd hand controllers for both "Dumb" string and RGB Lights as well as a truck load of "commercial" grade single colour strings of lights. Also included a heap of other LOR equipment that I haven't used yet. I got them for next to nothing . (lucky me)

You are welcome to pop around to see or discuss things if you want - just send a PM or contact me pjroeland@gmail.com

Dreamin

Full time elf
Hi Videoman3857,

I'm up at Peregian Springs.

Well your not a newbie to me! You will know loads more than I do. I'm hoping to start trying to plan what I want out of the display in my first year, and then started picking the equipment needed. I have some standard light that I've built up over the years, but having see the automated on in Brisbane I just knew I had to have a go at that.

I'm not even sure where to buy second hand stuff. I've read the manual a few times, and it's a lot to take in. There just seem to be so many options and I suppose I have to factor in future expandability.

I'll email you, see if we can't get together sometime. :) Thanks mate.

videoman3857

Full time elf
Sounds like a plan. !

1 year playing around certainly helps one to understand "things" a lot better, it seems daunting at first ,but then it all starts to "click".
I have a long way to go to match the knowledge of the other guys, but yes, I have more knowledge now than when I first started - and better soldering skills LOL

Watch the bug doesn't bite too hard - it's easy to get addicted.

As far as second hand stuff goes - go to the "trading area" - almost at bottom of this site page. That's where I got my "stuff". I had to go almost to Cairns to get it, but it was worth it. The people I purchased it from were so helpful and even gave me some of their sequences to help me get started.
They look a giant leap and went all "Smart Pixels"

Look forward to getting together