Hi - how do you stop people from touching? (Temporary fence?)

Carmz87

New elf
Hey guys! Just new here! I used to always do big displays but the last few years I haven’t been able to. We have just moved into a new place with alot of road frontage and i have some really big ideas! I have lots of inflatables, ive been making magnetic clips for the roof and i have been busy creating pieces with pallets. Im just wondering how you stop people from touching? Im thinking some kind of temporary fence? Im just worried it wouldn’t look nice and would cost more than the lights themselves

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Welcome to ACL,
A small fence does help stop them from walking in. Although it doesn't stop them from leaning over and touching.

Ideas on fences:
@ShellNZ Has a small fence made of conduit with lights on it. Would work with standard Bunnings lights.
1634686169859.png
1634686182091.png

@djgra79 has a simple rope fence. Barely noticeable and gets the message across.
I have drawn roughly where I can see the wire stake and rope.
1634686421763.png

Another idea is a line of lights, like a line of Arches or mini trees.
@darylc has many arches are the front.
1634686583258.png

Points from above is a clear boundary line.
I would avoid is fences that are very hard to see at night. Like using fishing line at a low height. That becomes a tripping hazard more than a message not to cross.

I do not have a fence in my display because I rarely get people walking on the lawn. (Except 3 videos on cctv of people walking up, and kids standing on things!)

Carmz87

New elf
Welcome to ACL,
A small fence does help stop them from walking in. Although it doesn't stop them from leaning over and touching.

Ideas on fences:
@ShellNZ Has a small fence made of conduit with lights on it. Would work with standard Bunnings lights.
View attachment 18519
View attachment 18520

@djgra79 has a simple rope fence. Barely noticeable and gets the message across.
View attachment 18521

View attachment 18522

I would avoid is fences that are very hard to see at night. Like using fishing line at a low height. That becomes a tripping hazard more than a message not to cross.

I do not have a fence in my display because I rarely get people walking on the lawn. (Except 3 videos on cctv of people walking up, and kids standing on things!)
Thank you for the ideas! Ill head to bunnings when i can get into town and see what they have. I was thinking rope but was also thinking it wasnt much of a deterrent. Im hoping being a small country town people will be respectful but you never know!

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL,

Ideas on fences:
View attachment 18519
View attachment 18520

View attachment 18521

View attachment 18522

Yes I have a green rope just in front of my arches etc held in place by some sheppard hooks. I also have a couple of signs a friend laser cut for me that hang from the rope:
View: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xju2fyzgfdc9r1o/2021-10-23%2017.13.20.jpg?dl=0

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
stop button to turn all the lights off and yell at the person walking in the display they need to leave. CCTV covering 99% of angles
Falcon Pi Player (FPP) has an option to pause a sequence playing and then play a message sequence. Or overlay effects (like a message on a Matrix).

If you have CCTV with a way to communicate to FPP (via network or the physical relay contact on the camera/NVR) you can automate this. I would advice AI human detection rather than standard motion detection, otherwise the lights would trigger it!

I have thought about similar to use loitering detection on a camera looking over the road, if a car parks in the middle of the road for more than 30 seconds it would trigger an announcement.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Falcon Pi Player (FPP) has an option to pause a sequence playing and then play a message sequence. Or overlay effects (like a message on a Matrix).

If you have CCTV with a way to communicate to FPP (via network or the physical relay contact on the camera/NVR) you can automate this. I would advice AI human detection rather than standard motion detection, otherwise the lights would trigger it!

I have thought about similar to use loitering detection on a camera looking over the road, if a car parks in the middle of the road for more than 30 seconds it would trigger an announcement.
It'll be set up as a home automation script.
Step 1: stop playlist on FPP via MQTT command
step 2: turn all the power off to the lights
step 3: turn on floodlights
step 4: everybody sees person where they shouldn't be, causing some level of embarassment
step 5: turn lights back on
step 6: start the playlist back up.

Ltmup

Full time elf
MOD Note (at least for australia), the use of any item that can cause injury would be illegal...

multi layered defence, 1 or 2 layers of passive defence, lights or conduit and if you feel it is necessary active offence , a cattle fence would probably not be a legal problem, but a lot of fun. please provide cct . remember a portion of the population are buts

Last edited by a moderator:

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
It'll be set up as a home automation script.
Step 1: stop playlist on FPP via MQTT command
step 2: turn all the power off to the lights
step 3: turn on floodlights
step 4: everybody sees person where they shouldn't be, causing some level of embarassment
step 5: turn lights back on
step 6: start the playlist back up.
3a. Display still image from CCT on matrix
3b. MQTT command to FPP, start playlist: Shame! Shame! Shame!

Freman

Uh Oh Elf
Generous elf
3a. Display still image from CCT on matrix
3b. MQTT command to FPP, start playlist: Shame! Shame! Shame!
I can probably already do all this. I have a neural network, watching the cameras, defined boundaries, Dynalite controlled power points and lights on and wifi pop up sprinklers

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
I stop our cats going to the neighbours like this. If the camera software detects something that looks like a cat going from zone a to zone b then it sends MQTT to the sprinkler system to turn on the "Wall of Water" to that side of the house. Similar to what Craig Turner did to rid his cat problem but less hilarious. Also gotta keep the secateurs sharp because of extra garden growth 😁

samber

Netley Lights
I use red and white plastic chine with some star droppers for the last 5 years. Stops them from going on the front lawn put hard to see it from across the road.

Attachments

• 20201223_212516.jpg
    20201223_212516.jpg
    837.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20201203_212454.jpg
    20201203_212454.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27