hi

tas

New elf
hi
thanks all for the wealth of information on this site, I pretty much promised my 5 year old that I would build a display for her this year... how impressive it will be is still a work in progress. As a novice I'm trying to design a display from the ground up and have been hedging my bets somewhat. I've picked up some theme items during the year and am about to launch into an order from Ray Wu but programing the display is my greatest fear... worst case I will leave it defalt blinking but would really like to line the roof, eaves & windows with pixels if I can.

tas

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Tas
The great thing about our hobby .... kids are impressed with any blinking lights and music :)
We are our own worst critics.
I would suggest you ask lots of questions in chat or posts before you place any large order. Very friendly folks here will be glad to possibly save you time, money, and aggravation.

oldmanfathertime1000

Computers, music, audio, video, electronics
tas,

You say "but programing the display is my greatest fear... "....Let not that be your's. The worst fear should be moving into the poor-house after getting too much knowledge from this great bunch of people in this forum. You are gonna do things that last year didn't know could be done. As far as the programing, these members can talk you through that while they talk you through landing a crippled 747 to a safe landing. Just jump right in & put on your flight cap & we are going flying...
The sky is your limit.....
A good place to start is in the chat room.......

Habbosrus

Back again
G'day tas, welcome aboard. I'm sure your daughter will appreciate anything her dad does for her. I am only starting small for my first year (8 elements). Have you settled on a sequencer?
There is a wealth of knowledge available here on ACL and everybody has been unbelievably helpful and supportive, so ask away.

tas

New elf
thanks all, as I work through what actually has to be done I've scaled my expectations down a little to something I hope is acheiveable.... eave, roof line, window outline in pixel, 6 mini tree's with dumb RGB with some static santa's, candy canes and a reindeer. All up it's 1k LED's as for sequencer I am looking at LSP, simply b/c I want to be able to build a mega tree... not this year but from what I'm reading converting from on sequencer to another seems a pain and duplication of effort.

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
WELCOME TO ACL!! My suggestion would be to download the demo version of LSP and LOR first and see if you are up to the learning curve required. Also download the free sequencing software such as HLS or Vixen 3 and see which program fits your needs to begin with. Each program has it's strengths and weaknesses, all are great sequencers. It's getting easier and easier to convert from one program to another. I wouldn't worry about that much though because if you decide to change sequencers, you will more than likely change your show. As for your hardware/lights, buy a small amount of whatever you think you want and go for it. Any hardware/lights you buy will always be usable in later shows. Jump in and start learning and above all have fun. Stop by chat anytime with any questions you might have. There are plenty of people willing to help with anything you might buy. Hope this helps.
John

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
Welcome aboard... This is similar to Alice in Wonderland, When you enter the Rabbit hole, you never know exactly what you will find...

Join us in chat, and ask away.. there are always people willing to help.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL. feel free to ask any questions you need answered and Im sure someone will be more willing to help