House outline using rgb

sweepa

New elf
Hi everyone it's that time of the year this year I want to add the house outline using rgb what has been the most successful way to do it I have seen strips on conduit, what is the best way conduit with what sort of strips any advice is appreciated.

ShellNZ

Senior elf

arw01

Full time elf
I used the same strip for my house here in the States, except I put mine right into white Pex tubing. Very light transmissive and looks great. Added benefit is protection from the elements of mother nature.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Pex tubing is the flexible water pipe for houses isn't. The stuff that replaced copper pipes. What diameter do you use. How do you stop the strip spinning/twisting in the pex.

Does anybody know if we can get this in white in Australia? Is it called Pex in Aus? Is it expensive? I'm guessing more expensive than conduit but how much more.

bdt

Apprentice elf
Would like to hear more info on the PEX as well. I really like how the strips look inside a translucent tubing. I used 4" white dryer hose for my arches. This year I'm going to try the white tubing from window tint rolls for my poles. I was thinking of trying those strips and PEX for my Mega Tree.

I looked into the PEX but my local supplires didn't have a large enough size and wanted too much to order it. I checked into polly tubing from a Chinese supplier but couldn't get a price from him, he kept wanting to sell me clear heatshrink tubing. However, the heatshrink tubing gave me an idea. I used 1/2" PVC to frame my house & widows and used clear heatshrink tubing cut to 1" width instead zipties to hold the strip to the PVC. It works great, kept me from tightening the zipties too tight.

sweepa

New elf
Thanks I like the pex tubing idea I had hoped to make all of the pixels programmable to maybe get a wave kind of motion going along the edges of the house, has anyone found a similar tubing and is it ridged like conduit maybe I could use it not the mega tree also?

sck1ng

Apprentice elf
Here is my adventure with strips putting into PEX when I couldn't get it into silicone sleeves... https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/my-first-attempted-layout-with-rgb.4919/page-2

Looks great when up on the house..

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOYoT43nLTo

Not sure what it would take for you to order it in from the states..

View: http://www.amazon.com/SharkBite-U860W100-Tubing-2-Inch-100-Feet/dp/B004Y75BG8/ref=sr_1_10?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1409189449&sr=1-10&keywords=sharkbite+pex

I left mine up all year so we shall see how it stood up over the summer here.. The PEX does need to be straightened out again.. If the strips did well then I will straighten them up and keep them up.. I have enough technicolor on order to replace my strips along the roof line if need be..

IMG_1465.jpg IMG_1463.jpg

talk2coxie

Full time elf
I have looked into buying PEX tube here, but Australian plumbing standards use RED (for hot water) and BLUE (for cold water).

No PEX tube supplier which sells diameters large enough bring in any white colour. I have enquired at several outlets and the minimum order quantity is massive and expensive.

I enquired through some suppliers on Alibaba and again the minimum order QTY is quite high and not worth my effort just for an element or two.

Feel free to search for alternate options or go through Alibaba for purchasing but I do not believe it is a viable option for us here.