How to assign an IP address to a P2

Porsche

Full time elf
Hi Guys, Ive had some help on here today wiring up my P2 to WS2811.
I wanted to run a test of the strips.
I really dont have a solid understand of Ip addresses.
How do I assign an IP address, how do I know which ones are available to use.
Ive loaded the UBL got all the P2's info. but hit a brick wall with assigning an IP address.
Not sure how to work out what addresses is available?
Cheers

harrison0550

Full time elf
I have a video on that as well here.............
ECG-P2 setup 2 of 4

Now what you set the P2's ip address to will depend on how you are hooking it up. For example if it will have it own private network coming directly from your pc's network card to a switch then to the controller then I recommend leaving it in the 10.10.10.xxx range. Now your probably thinking "why did he put xxx there instead of a value?" Well I'm glad you ask. Its because it can be any number 1-255. So you can assign your P2 for example to 10.10.10.1 then if you h another e1.31 controller it can be 10.10.10.2 and so on. This is the way I show in the video above.

Now you may want to run the P2 on your home network (which I dont suggest as it will be sharing traffic with your home network) and some folks had the need to do it that way as well. If that is the case you will want to use an ip address in your home networks range that is not already being used. For example 192.168.1.xxx where xxx is again 1-255 but remember when using your home network to set it high enough in the range that other common devices on your network wont interfer with like an ipad or xbox or something that isnt always online.

Phil has a video on changing the ip in the ubl here.........
ublecg2 on Vimeo

Porsche

Full time elf
Hay Andy,
I set the P2 to 10.10.10.1 through the UBL and then the same through network sharing centre as per your video.
Then I went to internet explorer and typed in 10.10.10.1 and got Internet explorer cannot display bthis page.
What have I done wrong?

harrison0550

Full time elf
ok what is your network card on your pc set to?

The first couple of mins of the youtube video above shows how to view your network cards ip address.

Are you hooking the P2 directly up to your pc's network card or through your home networks router?

harrison0550

Full time elf
If I had to put money on it I would guess you set the network cards IP the same as the P2's IP. If so that will not work. For our general purposes here the IP range 1-255 is a range of address's that all have different devices on each number 1-255 so if you put them both (the pc and P2) to 10.10.10.01 then they are basically just bumping heads with each other.

You need them to be in the same range with each other without bumping heads. Thats why in the video I put the PC to 10.10.10.50 and the P2 to 10.10.10.10

Both are in that 1-255 range for the last 3 digits but they aren't bumping into each other. Make sense?

Porsche

Full time elf
Yeah think so. I'll try it now.
In regards top the network card. Im not sure. Ive conbnected the P2 directly to the one ethernet port on my laptop.

I'll try what you suggest now.

harrison0550

Full time elf
Let me know if that does the trick. If not then there is one other thing that could be wrong.

You will need to plug the P2 back up through usb and double check it and or change it.

You will need to go back into the network settings and verify that its has the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 as well.
pc.PNG
if you set the IP on the P2 to 10.10.10.1 and the PC to 10.10.10.50 they will talk to each other. I have faith. :D

Porsche

Full time elf
worked Andy. yep your right. Thats what I was doing.
I set Pc on 10.10.10.50 and P2 on 10.10.10.10.

so when I go to configure my other P2's I will do next one as 10.10.10.11 and so on yeah??

bdt

Apprentice elf
I’m having the same problem but mine isn't alive L. I connected to my P2 using the bootloader via USB and changed the IP address to 192.168.0.11, my PC is 192.168.0.1. I rebooted the P2 and connected via Ethernet, works great. I can ping the P2 (1ms return) but I cannot connect to the P2 via my browser. I am connected through a switch but I would think it wouldn't matter since I can ping it and connect using the boot loader. Any suggestions?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Are you absolutely sure that it's the P2 on 192.168.0.11 ?

Have you tried powering it down, then pinging again to make sure you don't get a reply?

Doe the PC only connect via the cabled LAN ?

bdt

Apprentice elf
positive on the IP address, I unplugged it and lost the ping. also I can connect using bootloader and make changes.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I vaguely recall there is an option to enable E1.31.
I might be wrong though :)