how to find a router

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Last night about 6:30pm my internet dropped which is frustrating but not nearly as talking to Telstra to get is sorted. A few minutes later I tried logging into my router using the default IP of 10.0.0.138 and there was a message about it doing a reset. Since that reset I haven't been able to log in with 10.0.0.138 or any other IP that I've tried.
The router is a Telstra Thomspon TG587 V3 Technicolor and it's not allowing a logon on 10.0.0.138, 192.168.1.254 (what the Thomson website sourced manual suggests) or with http://dsldevice.lan (also from manual). Instead of the usual wifi SSID I get TNCAPE844B3 which I can connect to but can't work out how to log onto the user interface.
I have used netscan to scan from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 and 10.0.0.0 to 10.10.10.10 without it finding the device.
Any ideas on how I can find the IP that the router is responding to as I'm sick of being netless (with the exception of using phone as a wifi hotspot). Telstra were baffled after the hr I spent on the phone to them tonight and their solution is to organise a replacement modem which will be 3-5 business days (72 - 168 netless hours).

Habbosrus

Back again
Have you previously backed up your config or do you know all details? If so, have you already tried resetting it? Then try the default ip. I had to do this on a couple of Telstra modems in the past for people who had lost internet access. It seems to be a fault with some of the Thompson units.

If all else fails, get Telstra to send a new one (or invest in something better) and enjoy smashing the old one with a big hammer :mad:

Kitman

Full time elf
What device are you able to connect to the wifi using? your phone or your laptop?

Once the device is connected then you can see what IP address it has been assigned, from there we can take a guess as to the IP address of the modem and attempt to make a connection to it.

Unfortunately the Thompson modems that telstra use are crap, even thompson themselves realised this and did a deal with telstra to sell them their entire stock of modems as they couldn't sell them to the general public so had to offload them somewhere.

I think from memory the thompson modems have a reset button or reset hole on them where you can reset them back to factory default (This actually resets them back to telstra default) this may help to get the device back in a working condition while you wait for a decent modem to come that you have ordered once you get your internet back.

Happy to assist as much as I can I have had a great deal of experience with these modems, even managed to do stuff that Telstra said wasn't possible with them.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I could connect to the router wirelessly using desktop machine and laptop using the SSID of TNCAPE844B3 which isn't what it was or should be. The Telstra guy was as baffled as I was as I'd already done everything that was on his checklist and heaps more and I could tell him the results of each of his tests before I did them with him. I have a new modem on the way and I've currently got a loaner but would like to get the current 1 going again if possible. If nothing else it has much better range and wifi speed.
Tomorrow I plan on seeing in Windows is smarter than me and if Win 7 automatically latches onto the router and pops the details where I can see.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2474776/network-security/network-security-find-the-ip-address-of-your-home-router.html

Kitman

Full time elf
If your win7 machine connects to the router then it should give you an IP address and from there you should see what the default gateway is, that should be the routers IP address.

Not sure how much you know about windows and networking (I would think you know all of this already but for others playing at home)

Start > Run > cmd > click OK
Type "ipconfig" (without the quotes) at command prompt should give you your PC IP address and default gateway, type http://defaultgateway in a browser and there is your modem / router.

Or as Superman said lol
Superman said:

Follow the little telephone lead from the wall Mate. it'll be there somewhere beside your desk.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Not sure if this helps but a free app called Fing I use on my iPhone tells me all the ip addresses of all devices on my home network including the modem/ router ( Vodafone one in my case)

cdbrown

New elf
I would make sure your pc or laptop is wired directly to the modem/router. Ensure that your pc/laptop has auto assign IP enabled, even disable and enable the ethernet port to ensure it's clear.
Start - control panel - network and sharing - Change adapter settings - select the adaptor being used
Details button will provide you with the IP address of the pc/laptop and also the default gateway (which should be the address of the modem/router)
Properties allows you to go in and remove any static ips that may have been put in place.

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
Second on the FiNG app. I use it with the telstra thompson router and it identifies it.