How to make a cheep pixel controller

DJJAX99

New elf
Hi everyone. I normally hang up ordinary Christmas lights but this year I want to do something different. I would like to sync them up to music and run pixels of a pixel controller. Does anyone know a way i can make a full controller with the power supply for around $30-40?

keithsw1111

Senior elf
You could get something simple with esp8266. This is a hard way to do things but it works. Just don’t try to have too many of them.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
You are probably better off grabbing a raspberry Pi and one of the many Pixel Hats/Capes that are available for them. This will give you a much easier route into pixels. I have comfortably run near 900 pixels off a Pi 3B+ and a $25 pixel cape, and it only got retired this year for a better solution. No programming needed (Except your sequences), and the firmware is already out there ready to go.

DJJAX99

New elf
I also have a old PC I don't use and Its running Linux. will i be able to do something with that?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I also have a old PC I don't use and Its running Linux. will i be able to do something with that?
I believe that there's a Linux port of Xlights. You could do the sequencing on it. Easier with Windows based Xlights as it has better support though.