How waterproof is a CG 1500 enclosure really...

aplant92

Full time elf
With the expected deluge in Victoria over the next few days, I’m very edgy about my enclosure sitting in the front yard. Current I have it raised and covered by a garbage bag, but worried that I have it lying flat still.

Any suggestions/calming words about this? :p don’t want the controller getting fried by water on the 1st day of December!

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
I use a cement stake with EMT clamps holding mine so they do not lie flat. Worst case lean them with the holes facing down and not in the low part of the yard where puddles gather. I have had no issues for over 5 years and with heavy rains.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I think a separate additional cover should be fine. I have a master's box out in the yard sitting on a piece of wood (sloping yard anyway but just for good measure) but I also have a corflute box covering it so it should stay very dry. I just glued a cheap christmas ribbon around the corflute box to act like a decoration :)

aplant92

Full time elf
Do you think I'll be in trouble if it is lying flat?

Just not sure if I'll be able to maneuver it to be sitting upright while the heavy rain is coming down. I mean I do have a bag over the top, I'm just worried about water getting in through the cable holes (I bought this through holidaycoro with the pre-drilled holes in it)

aplant92

Full time elf
I think a separate additional cover should be fine. I have a master's box out in the yard sitting on a piece of wood (sloping yard anyway but just for good measure) but I also have a corflute box covering it so it should stay very dry. I just glued a cheap christmas ribbon around the corflute box to act like a decoration :)
That's not a bad idea - I suppose as long as I put anything over the top it should be fine? I can of course make up a corflute box if necessary! Or would a plastic tub suffice?

Did you just cut holes in the corflute box for the cables coming from the enclosure too?

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Yep a plastic container from the like of Kmart or reject shop upside down would do the same trick.
May also need to drill a couple of holes to use tent pegs to keep it in place, particularly if windy.
You can kind of make out my 2 boxes on the lawn. The large red ribbon box near the front door is also hiding controller boxes, as the gutter leaks right on the corner!
View media item 480

aplant92

Full time elf
Awesome OK, now I just need to hope it can hold out during the day until I can get back and chuck a tub over it! Hopefully the garbage bag will suffice until then!

Mine is sitting on the lawn basically the exact same as you, so hopefully I'll be right...