How would I build this? Rotating circle with rgb lights

smeighan

Dedicated elf
I posted this over in DIYC but thought i would also tap into the samrt folks on ACL.
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?26754-How-would-I-build-this-Rotating-circle-with-rgb-lights

I would like to make a 6' to 8' diameter circle that has 2-4 spokes on it. I would like to put rgb pixels on the spokes. I would like a way to gte 12v power to the lights and maybe use wireless to get the data signal to the lights.

It would be best if the speed of the rotating circle could be varied. I then want to create different nutcracker effects using persistence of vision to get varied effects.

I plan on mounting them away from people (no hands into a rotating device.)
I seem to have two choices?

a slip ring for power and the data line. I am thinking ws2811 rgb pixels, 12v
or a slip ring for the power and wireless for the data.

Any ideas on the feasibility of such a display item., I can imagine all sorts of effects i could make.

I was thinking of mounting them on my roof

thanks
sean

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Some of the smart people here can't see links or images on diyc as they aren't members there.

battle79

Full time elf
My immediate thought is that the slip ring might create to much noise for the data signal and that you are probably on the right track with the wireless.

Sounds like a very challenging build, hope it comes and can't wait to see results.

Cheers,
Rowan

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I'm still hoping better details are provided here as I still can't see what was posted at diyc.

battle79

Full time elf
Alan,

Post here is same as one at diyc. Not much to go on, guessing it's only just hatched as an idea and not yet fleshed out. Love to see where it ends up though.

Cheers,
Rowan

G

GoofyGuy

Wireless would make it easier. The slip ring would only have to carry power. Use everything on the same voltage say 5v such as the wireless dongle, controller and pixels so you don't have to fuss with too many wires. Or if you wanna get real slick. Battery powered solar charged!

bdeditch

Full time elf
battle79 said:
My immediate thought is that the slip ring might create to much noise for the data signal and that you are probably on the right track with the wireless.

Sounds like a very challenging build, hope it comes and can't wait to see results.

Cheers,
Rowan

If you get a good one, there should be no problem with signal.