Howdy from the Southern Highlands!

Jay.S

Full time elf
Hi All, greetings from NSW. Been reading up a bit over here and on DIYC. Must say that the ACL 101 alone is worth the rego here! I had ordered some LED strips on AliExpress (Or Geek, can't remember -- same diff) simply because they seemed convenient. Then me and a buddy (who like me is also from the Netherlands but lives in the US) got to talking (we are both software developers) that controlling xmas lights would probably be simple using something like a Pi. My wife being crazy about xmas lights and me being a geek, I don't know why I didn't think of this before but I finally found a legit reason to order a RPi, Yay!

I do however realize that while I can write code i my sleep, my mechanical engineering skills do simply not exist, so I will have a lot to learn.

So I got a Raspberry Pi (arriving in a few days) and plan to start experimenting with relays and gradually move up to something more advanced (Hey, at this point I have 11 months left, right?). I guess I have to learn xLights and figure out how to configure it to control relays and controllers at the same time and then figure out how to convert that stuff to FPP. Does that sound about right?

mellowcouple

Full time elf
Hi and welcome to acl. You will find the guys here very helpful but it sounds like you have a head start anyway.

Jay.S

Full time elf
Thanks! I have you snowed aye? I have no clue what I am doing. This could get dangerous :-D You know you are a bogan when... one (or more) of your friends ever died right after saying "Hey guys, watch this!"

Troy ELD

Full time elf
Community project designer
Gday swb!

Yep we have great bunch of people here that will help you on your blinky way! This year I used the RPi and FPP for the first time and once I got my brain around everything it worked flawlessly. Might want to find your way to xlights and dl the software to make your lights blink

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, you are only up the top of the mountain from us down in Albion Park. Feel free to ask any questions as you will find that there is a wealth of knowledge and information here

Jay.S

Full time elf
Hi FastEddy, too close! We go to Wollongong North when we take the kiddos to the beach.