I caught the CLAP

FrankORandle

Playing in Peoria
[SIZE=medium]What was supposed to have been an $800.00US project has gone completely off the rails into thousands of dollars.[/SIZE]

It all started out with wanting to use two old never used 110v controllers, 24 channels, old LED Christmas lights, old LOR software, LOR control, etc. Stuff that I already had. Keeping it cheap.

Now I am up to 7,794 channels, 14 controllers(6 different kinds), 3 different control signals(LOR, E1.31 & DMX), 2,507 pixels, 70 meters of 60LED/m RGB, six small blue LED strobes, 176’ of EL Wire in 9 colors on 21 channels, 5 – 30A 12V PSU, 2 – 70A 5V PSU & 1 old 350W computer PSU. Then add in the 2, 3, 4 conductor wire, network cables from 6” to 200’, 2 pin, 3 pin & 4 pin connectors, gobs of heat shrink tubing in about 6 sizes, a pound of solder. Also getting 10’ of 8, 10, 12 & 14 gauge wire. Then there’s the 8 way fuse blocks x 4 and 8 way power distribution blocks x 4 for power injection on the 70 pixel strips to bypass the controllers. I will be just over 30 amps per 8 strips.

I do have some unused DMX, 110v and DC channels that I will have to fill up so I ordered a few extra pixel rings and I will probably use leftover strip pieces and those old LED Christmas lights to fill in the rest.

It all gets crammed into a single prop that is 3.6 square meters in surface area and it will never see daylight. It is a flat circle that is 2.1336 meters wide. I had started out doing things in divisions of 8 but then that grew into divisions of 32.

I also have a bunch of concentric ws2811 rings from 7 pixels up to 60 pixels for the center that I haven’t drawn in yet. I am pretty sure that I have caught a bad case of the CLAP. I have about 25 years of experience designing, installing and programming special effect light shows & commercial sound systems in nightclubs. I stopped doing it about 5 years ago. I miss programming fast moving lights. I saw the Seizure Star so I figured this project will be the Serious Seizure Spokey Sircle. The SSSS (make hissing sound).

Orange = 140 12v 25mm ws2811pixels
Black = 70 pixel 5v ws2811 strips x 32 strips
Red – 27 RGB 12v LED strips x 32
Blue = 99 RGB 12v LED strips x 32 (these will take a bit of soldering and quite a few small wires to make all of the corner turns)
LED%20Layout2smallest1_zpsi6ofqpfq.jpg

[SIZE=medium]It goes on a PVC frame made with 3/4" pipe that is covered in hardware cloth. It has 8 T's in it so I can have the frame up on legs to work underneath it while laying work on top.[/SIZE]
lights_of_change_frame6_zpsqfzz6ndl.jpg

DSCN2810_zpsiojyxizq.jpg

DSCN2823_zpses9xmfmb.jpg

[SIZE=medium]Did I mention that there is a 2m wide crochet afghan mounted on the frame that the lights will be on top of? lol It is the reason why I am doing the project. I design them, write the patterns and publish them online. The video I make of this project will advertise the insane patterns that I design. It will go viral in the crochet communities online because normal designers don't design the crazy kinds of patterns that I do and the most lighting that has ever been used in crochet is crocheting over the top of rope lights.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The one I have mounted glows under blue lights. It is tied to the hardware cloth with thousands of tiny wires to prevent it from sagging when it is standing up.[/SIZE]
DSCN2827_zpsp7zeaaqb.jpg

[SIZE=medium]Before I was just crazy. Now I'm crazy AND have caught the CLAP. I have to admit though, I am having so much fun designing this. I will love wiring it up.[/SIZE]

Bird

LOR user
I don't know nothing about afghan's .... but I will love to see what you do with that much light in that small of an area. ;) :D