I have a problem

Andy2000

Apprentice elf
Every time my lights come on ( 12mm pixels mostly) the neighbours tv looses ch 7 and 9, the rest are fine. They are about 20m from the lights and it only affects the tv`s at the front of the house not the back. Any solution would be greatly appreciated

Benslights

Dedicated elf
can you please tell us more about your setup please? what controllers and how it is all plugged in

i13

Dedicated elf
Interesting.

Not an expert here but I'd suspect the electronically noisiest parts are the power supplies and the FM transmitter if you have one. It might be a good idea to try to isolate the problem if possible. Try turning everything on and then turning things off one at a time. You could also try turning different things on by themselves.

lytnin

Full time elf
I am having a similar issue with my own TV's.

I have narrowed it down to one section of my display.
It has on it:
- A 12V PSU going out to
a) 1 x 12V/5V converter to a P12R running 5 universes of WS2801
b) 2 x 12V/5V converter to power injection
c) a DMX/REN8
d) a Tiger120 with 28 RGB sticks
e) 1 x 12V/5V converter to a P2 running 2 universes of INK1003 (added late - TV issues prior to this).

I suspect that it is either the PSU, or the converter's, as all other areas have 5V PSU's with no converters.

I am still yet to confirm this one way or the other. That will have to wait until I start a pull down.

Good luck.

Andy2000

Apprentice elf
2 x 12v PS and 2 x 5v PS , 1 Pixlite 16 and 1 DMX36 in a metal enclosure. No FM transmitter. Router is in enclosure also but hard wired not wireless. 4 strings of 50 pixels 12mm and 6 strings of Ray`s icicles

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Is the TV affected when the lights are powered but not running a sequence?
Is the TV in question running off an external antenna or off rabbits ears or similar?

lytnin

Full time elf
In my case it's whenever power is supplied. No sequence running.

External antenna. I think the signal amp is also on the same house circuit as my lights, coming out of the garage.

mborg10

Michael Borg
I had this issue a few years back. I changed out a few of rays cheap power supplies to meanwell and problem solved. I still have some Ray wu power supplies in the show but the others may have had a fault in them.

Andy2000

Apprentice elf
It happens when power is on, not while running a sequence. External antenna in line with my controller box. Is there any quick fix rather than changing power supplies?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Ryan (ACL admin) had issues a few years ago with a Mean Well clone power supply causing all sorts of mayhem at his place. Knocked his ADSL out, interfered with the security cams, etc. All solved by swapping to a genuine Mean Well power supply.

jerrymac

Apprentice elf
Keep in mind that RGB lights are powered at all times the power supply is on (even when the lights are not lit).

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Ive seen this issue with some of rays power supplies in the past, Once I changed to meanwells then I did not see this issue.
So at very least try changing out the power supply with another or swapping the location of that power supply with another in your display to see if that helps as you may have a power supply creating interference .