I need help because im so confused!

Hi all

I am newish to this site.

I have been doing just normal standard Christmas lights on my house for the past 4 years and its grown to quiet a large size now. I am looking into the idea of controlling my lights using software and a computer, but i am beyond confused for what i actually need and what exactly to do. i am do not know all the technical terms for this hobby but i am looking to learn.

(most of my lights i currently have are just from: Big W, bunnings, master, ect. are these the right type for what i want to do?? i have a lot of led coloured lights and lots of rope lights)

I would really like some great advice but is easy to understand. If someone can help me that would be great!!!

Thanks

mborg10

Michael Borg
Run for the hills before CLAP takes over, but if your determined to stay and you want to use all your exist lights, light o Rama is prob the easiest way to get into it.

Christmas @ the Myrtle (Damicka10) said:
Run for the hills before CLAP takes over, but if your determined to stay and you want to use all your exist lights, light o Rama is prob the easiest way to get into it.

Is from the LOR web store the only place i can get LOR products?

Benslights

Dedicated elf
do your research as lor can be the most expensive way to get into it also.

Yes LOR website is the best place to get lor stuff unless second hand. most second hand boards are in good condition also and saves on freight

YAGOONA LIGHTS said:
do your research as lor can be the most expensive way to get into it also

This could be a stupid question but i have helped out with a couple of light shows for concerts using DMX and splitters, could i use DMX and spiltters with christmas lights?

Karob

Let there be Light!
Welcome to this crazy world!

I too went from a largish static display and made baby steps in the first year with 1 16ch AC LOR board, was able to grow in the 2nd year to 5 LOR boards thanks to another member selling, but since then moved towards pixels so my LOR boards will be retired after this years show.

First thing to do would be work out what lights you want to control, and once you know what ones you want to control work out if they are able to be ran on a AC or DC board.

Start thinking for the future, what direction do you want to take your show in. Are some of your lights on the way out and to be replaced for low voltage (dc) lights, if that was the case then heading towards DC would be a good option.

If the bulk of your lights you want to use are 240v AC, then buying a LOR AC board would be the best.

There may be a Queensland member who has a surplus of LOR boards if you are going the AC direction, if you are going the DC option then you will have many board options to choose from.

Other hint is to ask questions, no one here has been killed for asking a question.

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL
First the disclaimer
Joining these forums and entering the chat room can give you CLAP!!! :D
Christmas Lighting Addiction Problem
The AusChristmasLighting 101 manual is a great resource for all things lighting.

In my opinion, LOR is the easiest way to get started. It is a straight forward setup etc. I have been using LOR 4 years now and I'm very happy with it. I now have 2 standard 16 channel controllers and 6 Color Cosmic Ribbons. Setup is easy, programming (sequencing) is as easy as it gets.
With that said, if you have a basic understanding of DMX you may want to go the DIY route. You have a very good supplier of controllers local to you there. Local source alone would save you $$ on shipping. DYI is also cheaper on cost per channel of controlled lights.

Read the manual (several times :) ), ask lots questions (there are no dumb questions here), start out slow the first year. Once you get a general idea of how you want your display to go in the future, then start buying lots of controllers etc.
Hope this helps.

Adam007

Adam007
Welcome to ACL.

I'll go the opposite way, and recommend to stay away from LOR hardware.

Your current LED strings are perfect to chop up and power via ~30V DC controllers.

As others have said, take a look at the 101 manual and then ask some qustions.

Cheers