i think i am close but.....

Ltmup

Full time elf
so.. i can wifi from laptop to pi, no probs. i have set a show network at 192.168.1.50 for f16 and 192.168.1.100 for pi. i believe if i put ip for f16 into laptop i should be able to connect to it through pi wifi. am i on the wrong track?? am i making this way to difficult?? i can ditch the wifi if required

Ltmup

Full time elf
that is what i followed but i have missed something. can not quite figure out what

ezellner

Full time elf
The pi wifi should have an ip address that's on the same subnet as the wifi your computer is on. The show network should be on a different subnet from that (for example, 192.168.2.xxx). The pi wireless ip will be as you have it, and the pi ethernet would be the show network ip address. Additionally, you need to make sure you have a route command set in your computer that tells the computer to send show network signals through the pi wifi ip address to the F16. Finally, make sure the "Enable Routing between network interfaces." box is checked in FPP.

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Are you connecting to the wifi of the Pi as in FPP - Hotspot or are you connecting your FPP to your home internet router?

If you are wanting to directly connect a falcon to the ethernet port of the pi you will have to set ETH0 to an IP address on the same subnet as your Falcon controller.

e.g.
FALCON: 192.168.1.50
FPP ETH0: 192.168.1.100.

Connect laptop to FPP Wifi and configure it to there.

I suggest connecting your FPP to your home internet router and your falcon to the same. Makes things a little bit easier than permanently setting something on another subnet.

When you do this and leave everything on DHCP (Default) the IP address will be displayed on your Falcon controller and you can simply open a web browser on your laptop (e.g. Chrome) and type http://fpp/ and if will take you to the falcon pi player.
You can purchase a long ethernet cable online for cheap to get the wire required to connect it from your home router to your RPI during show season.

Ltmup

Full time elf
All on DhCP seems to be the go. Hard wire the lot and be done with it.
Thanks for replys

Andrew Lee

New elf
Try to avoid DHCP, unless you leave everything running. If you turn the Pi or the controller off the router may give out those ip addy's to something else.
I have a small switch and plug everything into that, Static ip addy's on all devices. Yet still allow the pi access to wifi, which I leave as DHCP.