I think I need a budget!

scamper

Dedicated elf
I have only just started this year to do a sequence xmas display, and to start with, I looked at prices, looking for the cheapest options. after a while, I realised to do this properly I would need to get the right things.
Now it seems I have caught the CLAP.
I just received this email from Ali express....
Your VIP Silver Membership Upgrade

Dear Mark,

Congratulations! Since your transaction amount surpassed US $999 in the last 90 days, your AliExpress membership was successfully upgraded to VIP Silver Membership .

As with any addiction, it costs you money. Now I just need to do some sneaky accounting so it doesn't cost my marriage. :-\

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
One tip from a fellow person just starting off. It is very hard to convince the wife you are not spending much money when there are multiple parcels turning up each week.

PS. Congratulations on your VIP membership!!

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
CLAP is an expensive addiction for sure!

What does VIP membership entitle you to?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Tell the wife if you took up golf you would spend more money than this hobby and also be away from home a lot more. At least this hobby keeps you home and the end result is that you get to bring so much joy to your local community.
Your wife will get CLAP in December as I find most wives get it then but also you will find that by January that her CLAP has gone.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Fasteddy said:
Tell the wife if you took up golf you would spend more money than this hobby and also be away from home a lot more. At least this hobby keeps you home and the end result is that you get to bring so much joy to your local community.
Your wife will get CLAP in December as I find most wives get it then but also you will find that by January that her CLAP has gone.

I hadn't thought of the stay at home angle. I think this is my only hobby/sport that does that so will have to make use of that angle thanks. Only on this forum could you be disappointed that the wifes CLAP has gone.

davrus

Silent elf
You may think that your China LED lights will be the major cost..... but don't under estimate how everything else will add up - stuff like tie wraps, heat shrink, wires and cables, enclosures, fuses, pvc tubing, coro, glue, etc... and outdoor speakers and amplifier and cabling, of an FM transmitter .... it can catch you from behind without realizing. No point in having lots of LEDs, if you don't have the accessories budget to actually use them !!!

multicast

Senior elf
I sell budgets.

Cost of budget = actual budget + $99

Send payment to budgetsfor$99@blinkylightsgonemad.com

Good luck, its endless. best not to think about it too hard

penguineer

Full time elf
Get the missus to have a look through the gallery of other shows.

See what she likes, then suggest that you may be able to to do something like what she's seen(elements you've already decided to do).

Then it becomes her idea and budget for that item doesn't count.

Then buy more blinky.

:D

mborg10

Michael Borg
What I do is use my tax return each year for christmas lights, but during the year its easy to hide $20 here, $50 there buying odds and ends. That way the wife can't add up what it really costs.

Deep down I don't think she minds, but this way I'll never have to find that out.

talk2coxie

Full time elf
Fasteddy said:
Tell the wife if you took up golf you would spend more money than this hobby and also be away from home a lot more.

I knew I was doing something wrong, I play golf most Saturday mornings and each round takes at least 6 hours to play.... (wink, wink)

scamper

Dedicated elf
It's all good guys, I think I have infected her a little already...
She made me go and buy some plywood so she can build a sleigh. well she is going to draw it and I will do the rest most likely. But hey, that is what we do.

And yes I already know about all the other costs, I have been buying pvc tube, light fittings, ply, corro etc etc etc...
As far as the VIP membership goes... You only get more junk mail as far as I can see ???

arw01

Full time elf
I didn't even know what I spent last year, one time the wife asked absently, not really wanting to know, So I went back through my paypal and my memories, and holly crap, this hobby adds up..

Probably spend more this year.. :eek: