Ideas on incorporating interactivity?

Jayxdallis

Bayrise Lights
Hey

I’ve managed to hook up a switch on my donation box to trigger a thank you sequence on my matrix through gpio inputs and it’s a huge success where kids keep raiding their parents ashtrays for money my local charity “Rally for a Cause” will be very pleased

I love the interactive possibilities for the future but what are some cool ideas for triggers and display response to that trigger???

It seems like the more they can touch the longer they stay and more they feed in the charity box

Regards

B4IGO

Apprentice elf
At some point I'd like to be able to hook up some buttons to control one or more aspects of the display... eg turn the whole display, or a particular prop (mega tree perhaps?) a particular colour, or something more complex. I've seen others have a song selection panel or webpage, and there is of course display an SMS on a matrix functionality out there...

Nojoy

Full time elf
I was just watching some videos on YouTube over the weekend about webcam and midi inputs to xscheduler. Thinking of incorporating a dance dance revolution or giant piano mat into an area next year to capture inputs (up to 30 seconds) from kids, with each "button" assigned to a prop and effect. Then have that played as a random insert after each proper song.
Other part could be a small sensor webcam linked up to a cheap lenovo tablet, with that being displayed via my projector during that same time.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
A few of us discussed the dance dance or piano mat a while back, but no one ever did anything with it as far as I know. If you build one let us know how Nojoy.

The camera idea is a good one, everyone likes seeing their face on screen (except me), only issue I can see is a few ratbag boys standing there giving rude signs all night. :laugh:

Jayxdallis

Bayrise Lights
I was just watching some videos on YouTube over the weekend about webcam and midi inputs to xscheduler. Thinking of incorporating a dance dance revolution or giant piano mat into an area next year to capture inputs (up to 30 seconds) from kids, with each "button" assigned to a prop and effect. Then have that played as a random insert after each proper song.
Other part could be a small sensor webcam linked up to a cheap lenovo tablet, with that being displayed via my projector during that same time.

Cool idea I’d love to learn more! would even better if something like this could be data transmitted and received over Bluetooth rather than copper!

Jayxdallis

Bayrise Lights
@AAH can you elaborate on the possibility here with your Mk2 controller? What are the limitations to the qty of external inputs? I have played with something like this called Makey Makey and I think construction of an 8 key piano is a trip to Bunnings and barely a weekend job!

Nojoy

Full time elf
@AAH can you elaborate on the possibility here with your Mk2 controller? What are the limitations to the qty of external inputs? I have played with something like this called Makey Makey and I think construction of an 8 key piano is a trip to Bunnings and barely a weekend job!
Id love to contribute/talk through your design process here if possible

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
This is all a little over my technical ability but thought I would share just in case it gets someone closer to a solution:

At about the 64th minute of this video from SuperHouseTV there is some discussion on the freedeck board (essentially it's a DIY version of the Stream Deck).
Short summary of a stream deck is a configurable button system to trigger keyboard shortcuts whilst playing PC games, but the concept would slot in with the ideas here if you could get the appropriate I/O to xLights to trigger an event or atleast I think it should work that way.

I quite like the way he uses the little OLED's over a button which gives you complete design control over the button design.

Jayxdallis

Bayrise Lights
may be another question for @AAH or others running FPP on beaglebone boards but what spare gpio are available on the header to just pin straight into then set the action in FPP? Should be able to create a sequence for each event and trigger it for each event! Although it will need an off switch so people don’t interrupt the main show once started! (Relay the common)

4E8FC088-CCEC-4092-B774-3C38D602FBE5.png

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Depending on what you're wanting to do there's dozens of IO's that can be configured on the BBB GPIO screen. In most cases you're probably wanting to use a pullup resistor if you're using a switch closure between the input and ground.Screenshot_2020-09-03 Falcon Player - FPP.png

Screenshot_2020-09-03 Falcon Player - FPP.png

Jayxdallis

Bayrise Lights
Depending on what you're wanting to do there's dozens of IO's that can be configured on the BBB GPIO screen. In most cases you're probably wanting to use a pullup resistor if you're using a switch closure between the input and ground.View attachment 16066

View attachment 16066
Awesome Alan so all of these pins are free to use tied onto a He123? I did guess the use of a pull up resistor or pull down resistor on each input plus I would switch the common neutral to open the circuit when the show is on to stop interruptions! Would this be right (image below)?image.jpg