I'm sooooooooooooo confused. HELP!

AndiK

Apprentice elf
Hi all,
I bought a PixLite 16 plug and play MK11, about 10 mths ago, Tried to get it started, and failed completly, so put it back in the box, and away from sight!, now I've brought it out again, in hope I can get this thing working, and get something like a small mega tree, ready (for next year!)
I've plugged it in, and in to my computer, and have searched for the box and found one (mine!) now its saying the IP address settings of the device are not compatible with my PC's IP settings.. this is where I stopped and hated anything to do with computers earlier this year.
I have no idea what to do, I've refreshed Adapters, I've found others with others that have put their IP address's in, but no idea what it is i neeed to do to make it work. I have no idea how to see what my computer IP address is, or how to start looking for it. I have failed in my xmas cheer with all this! :(
Please help, or if someone can send me in the right direction of a youtube video, or something that can help, that would be amazing. Sorry for the long message, I'm giving up hope in trying to figure this computer stuff out!
thanks all.
Andi

Nojoy

Full time elf
Andi, take a breath :)
Computer IP addresses work as either static (will always be same address everytime plugged in) or dynamic (router assigns the next available address each time something is plugged in).
When your network is set to work as one, but a device is set to the other, this usually creates the issue you came across.
Step 1. Make sure you have advatek assistant installed on your computer.
Step 2. If you are using a router, plug the pixlite into one of the LAN ports on the back of that. Plug your PC into one of the other LAN ports.
Step 3. Open advatek assistant, and hit the refresh adapters button. Then click the search button.
Step 4. Select your controller from the list that comes up. If this fails come back and post a screen shot of the error message for us.

Step 5. Setting up your controller. Can assist with that once you have access.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
In Windows there's a few options to find your IP address:

1. Click Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Properties
Look for IPv4 Address:
this will likely be in 1 of 2 'ranges' - 10.0.0.x or 192.168.0.x

2. Open/Run the command prompt - click the search box and start typing command prompt and open the app
type - ipconfig then hit enter
Look for IPv4 Address...
this will likely be in 1 of 2 'ranges' - 10.0.0.x or 192.168.0.x
Also take note of the Default Gateway address

Many controllers use 192.160.0.50 as their standard address. If your home network is on the 10.0.0.x range, then it can't (easily) talk to each other.

You may need to change the IP on the controller first (if that's possible on PixLites) or change the IP on your PC

NOTE: this will disconnect you from your home router if you have 10.0.0.x (like many Telstra modems do)

Zuseleets

Full time elf
You may need to change the IP on the controller first (if that's possible on PixLites) or change the IP on your PC

NOTE: this will disconnect you from your home router if you have 10.0.0.x (like many Telstra modems do)

Yep, it's easy to do, just a matter of clicking on the network tab in the assistant and filling out the ip address section.

AndiK

Apprentice elf
Andi, take a breath :)
Computer IP addresses work as either static (will always be same address everytime plugged in) or dynamic (router assigns the next available address each time something is plugged in).
When your network is set to work as one, but a device is set to the other, this usually creates the issue you came across.
Step 1. Make sure you have advatek assistant installed on your computer.
Step 2. If you are using a router, plug the pixlite into one of the LAN ports on the back of that. Plug your PC into one of the other LAN ports.
Step 3. Open advatek assistant, and hit the refresh adapters button. Then click the search button.
Step 4. Select your controller from the list that comes up. If this fails come back and post a screen shot of the error message for us.

Step 5. Setting up your controller. Can assist with that once you have access.
Thank you, I've just pluged it in to the back of my computer, is that where I've gone wrong!?

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Thank you, I've just plugged it in to the back of my computer, is that where I've gone wrong!?
quite likely, especially as I said earlier, if your computer is on a different IP range

Nojoy

Full time elf
If plugging in to your computer ethernet port, you need to go into Network & Internet settings on your computer, select Ethernet > Change Adapter Settings, then right click on the ethernet icon and select Properties.
From the list that pops up, go to TCP/IPv4, select it with one left mouse click, then press the properties button.
You need to set the IP Address as 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask as 255.255.255.0

This will set your computer as the host machine, and see the controller which should default to 192.168.0.50. Then access controller via advatek assistant. You will need to undo the above to get your computer talking to your router again.

If connecting both PC and controller to router, then dont do any of the above - the router should automatically assign addresses and your controller should just be visible in advatek assistant.