ink1003 strip repairs - beyond my skill level

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I have a strip of ink1003 that is not working (not the one that got wet). I went out to check the show last night just before turn off and the top 2m seemed to be working but the bottom 1m wasn't changing. It was stuck on an image from another sequence. Just turned it off and went to bed.

This morning I turned on the test pattern and nothing at all. No lights worked in the whole strip. So cut out the first pixel and replaced it and only the first pixel worked but the colours didn't seem right. Then I realised I hadn't joined up the 5v line in the strip (one for the dumb things thread). So joined that and then the first pixel worked with right colours but nothing else still. So then replaced the second pixel as well. Now have first two pixels working but nothing else.

At first I thought it must have been the in line buck convertor gone but then thought that can't be right as it is needed to get the first 2 pixels the 5v they need to run. So now I don't know what the issue is. Obviously the first pixel I replaced was passing on the signal to the second pixel as the new 2nd pixel is working. How likely is it to get multiple pixels gone in a row.

One other thing to mention. I had damaged this strip earlier on by the old plug in whilst powered up trick. I had to replace a pixel then (in middle of strip, 1st pixel in a metre section) but it was working fine after that repair. I guess this issue is related to the same problem. It's just it seems to be not just the first 1/2 this time.

I have spares so will just swap it out now, but would like to know any clues on testing/repairs as this seems outside of all the tips I have learnt so far.

Thanks

dale82

Senior elf
Around where it stopped is the strip soldered from Ray? I have had this happen on a few strips, all it is is a dry solder joint that needs to be fixed. I hope this solves your issue

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
They stopped working at the 1st pixel, dale. I have swapped it out and now the new pixels I put in work but nothing else. Thanks yet again for the tip but I don't think that is the issue in this case. Have been wrong in the past though, so you could still be right yet.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Are you running these from a 12vdc supply or a 5vdc supply

I would have thought the first pixel would have the buck converter on the back

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Using a 12V supply. The buck convertor is in the middle of each meter section.

AussieDoug

Full time elf
I had this issue last week, turns out I blew the convertor on the back. It has a burn mark between C1 & C2 (upside down photo)
y1HJSFfU