IPv4 and IPv6

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
What should I be using. When I put my second network adapter card in my computer and hooked up the lights I had trouble getting them to work. I remembered something about turning off IPv6 on our network at work so I unticked that option in the properties and set the ip address on the IPv4 tab to the same range as the controller and the problem went away.

Never thought about it again until the other day after finding out about multicast and IGMP and I looked up the properties on my other network card (one that was in there when I bought the computer and I think it may be part of the motherboard but don't hold me to it). Then noticed it had both IPv4 and IPv6 ticked and that it was DHCP enabled so all IP addresses are automatic. Obviously there has been no issues getting onto the internet etc but I haven't used that port to run my lights at all.

Just wondering out loud, is one protocol better than the other. Would my internet connection run any better/faster if I unticked one of the options. If it turns out IPv6 is better how can I change my light port back to that and get it to work.

Thanks.

warsome

Wires? who needs wires!
IPV4

don't even bother with IPV6 just yet, in a home environment its not needed, the scale of IPV6 is not even needed on a 'world' level JUST YET. (it will be soon)

keep it simple.

I own a ISP, and we are only just in the beginning phase of our IPV6 upgrades, I wouldn't recommend a home user to go IPV6 when most old routers, and even the new controllers wouldn't support it yet.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Warsome. That's what I was thinking but just wanted to check.

multicast

Senior elf
I have Ipv6 out to the internet, and it does make a difference to those parts i can connect to. But its been slow to been adopted. the crisis of network address shortages was a bit like y2k

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I gather from what's been said the two are completely different. So you can't just use IPv6 and it can handle IPv4 and IPv6 connections.

multicast

Senior elf
BundyRoy said:
I gather from what's been said the two are completely different. So you can't just use IPv6 and it can handle IPv4 and IPv6 connections.

No, its two different protocol stacks.. You can run them at the same time on a machine however, and thats pretty much the way its going to be for a long while yet i suspect.