is LOR SuperStar Sequencer a "must have" for pixels?

RiverBendLights

Apprentice elf
I heard its pretty good to be able to control your pixels without needing to go and pick out each one individually. is this true? is it worth the almost $400 for the software for my 9000 channels

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
Never using Superstar I can't speak definitively, but from what I've read and seen XLights 4 will do a lot in the way of effects and sequencing your whole show on the node level as well. And it's FREE! I would spend some time and effort withe xlights 4 before plunking down $400 for any sequencer. Vixen 3 also has many effects built into it as well as HLS. Hope this helps.
John

RiverBendLights

Apprentice elf
JCMarksafb said:
Never using Superstar I can't speak definitively, but from what I've read and seen XLights 4 will do a lot in the way of effects and sequencing your whole show on the node level as well. And it's FREE! I would spend some time and effort withe xlights 4 before plunking down $400 for any sequencer. Vixen 3 also has many effects built into it as well as HLS. Hope this helps.
John
does it work with LOR S4 software? if so I will definitly try it

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
I have Super Star from a few years back. There are some things you can't do with XL that you can do with SS.
I use Superstar, XL and LOR and am satisfied with the results.

I am probably one of the very few that have LOR CCR's and SS works well with them.
I use it to build the matrix portion of my show when creating animation.

You probably can get away with just XL and importing into LOR

-Blu

bbayjohn

Senior elf
Yes ss is expensive. it does have some great uses. Every program has its pros and cons. I used both ss x lights and now pixel editor as well. Why not try it in demo mode

bluzervic

Re: is LOR SuperStar Sequencer a "must have" for pixels?

jediknight2 said:
Cause it's RIDICULOUSLY overpriced

To me it was worth it. XL4 was not around at the time and I had LOR CCR's and a matrix to make work.
Now with XL4 there is an alternative. However, XL4 does not have all of the SS features.

Sure it is expensive. However, I like to have a variety of tools at my disposal. This gives me many ways to do things. I see no reason to tie myself to just one tool.

-Blu

jediknight2

Full time elf

"XL4 does not have all of the SS features".....YET. My opinion...first I'd rather spend money on lights than an overpriced piece of software that SHOULD be a part of and come with LOR. Second...IMHO LOR partially hired he lead XL developer....to keep him from continuing to develop XL. Luckily the current developers of XL4 aren't slowing down

bluzervic

jediknight2 said:
"XL4 does not have all of the SS features".....YET. My opinion...first I'd rather spend money on lights than an overpriced piece of software that SHOULD be a part of and come with LOR. Second...IMHO LOR partially hired he lead XL developer....to keep him from continuing to develop XL. Luckily the current developers of XL4 aren't slowing down

I actually tend to think at some point SS will go away. It will probably be replaced with the Pixel Editor. Probably as time goes more XL4 features will make it into the Pixel editor.

I am all for XL4, but one thing I would like to see XL4 dev guys do is add universes. This would make conversions easier. I understand you can use a universe:channel number syntex in the properties. but I would like to see universes used in the network setup and testing.

-Blu