Is there a "Begginers Basic Light Kit"?

Joshaaye

Hoping that everything still works..
So some of you would have seen my post earlier. I've tried searching around the website, reading guides and threads and stuff here, as well as searching the net a bit. I was wondering if there's like a basic "beginners pack" that is essentially plug in and play with things like arches and stuff to at least get you going and starting to understand the basics, with then having the ability to add more things.

To be completely honest, I'm very overwhelmed with just how much stuff is required and the different types etc. that it's hard to know where to start.

I assume it's very much like buying a prebuilt computer or building one yourself. Prebuilt is easier but building yourself allows you to know a lot more straight away and be picky. In this case see, I don't mind the pre built as It will help give me a starting point to then learn more as I go.

Feel free to share links to websites and packs etc. Thanks!

Joshaaye

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
This is one option for "plug & play" as it is the controller and power supply already built in 1 unit. You pay for this convenience though.
You still need to add lights, cabling and other show control items, plus the props themselves that you'd attach lights to.
If you want to have control over pixel lighting (control every colour of every light) then there really aren't many pre-packaged options. This hobby is very much built around the DIY solution.
Off the shelf Christmas lighting is already catered for via the lights of Kmart, Big W, Bunnings and specialty Christmas decorating shops (which again you'll pay dearly for in the latter case)

Joshaaye

This is one option for "plug & play" as it is the controller and power supply already built in 1 unit. You pay for this convenience though.
You still need to add lights, cabling and other show control items, plus the props themselves that you'd attach lights to.
If you want to have control over pixel lighting (control every colour of every light) then there really aren't many pre-packaged options. This hobby is very much built around the DIY solution.
Off the shelf Christmas lighting is already catered for via the lights of Kmart, Big W, Bunnings and specialty Christmas decorating shops (which again you'll pay dearly for in the latter case)
Cheers for that! That box actually looks really good to get me started. I've watched all the videos and stuff recommended and im feeling much more confident about next years display now.

Now its time to empty my wallet.. :p

Nojoy

Full time elf
Cheers for that! That box actually looks really good to get me started. I've watched all the videos and stuff recommended and im feeling much more confident about next years display now.

Now its time to empty my wallet.. :p
Just started this year too. Went with that exact controller and have some pointers to consider:
-yes it is ready made to withstand qld elements; but
- it locks you into using 1 type of pixel across all 16/32 outputs (ws2811 etc);
- it limits you to 170 pixels per output compared to thousands on the hansen he123 or falcon 16/48;
- it comes pre-installed with 4amp fuses so can't run 170 pixels on an output at full 100% white out of the box; and
- while the 4th line on each output (clock line) can be reconfigured to be an additional data line expanding to 32 * 170 pixels, the power is again a limiting factor if you aren't DIY capable.

You really are paying for convenience, so as long as you are aware and accept its limitations, its a good entry level controller.

You will generally pay a premium for ready to run that could limit your creativity (and add cost) in later years. If I started over I would have bought the Hansen he123 mk2 with a beaglebone green and housed the controller myself. Not a knock on the quality of Advatek's pixlite, just more comfortable building my own now.

Joshaaye

Just started this year too. Went with that exact controller and have some pointers to consider:
-yes it is ready made to withstand qld elements; but
- it locks you into using 1 type of pixel across all 16/32 outputs (ws2811 etc);
- it limits you to 170 pixels per output compared to thousands on the hansen he123 or falcon 16/48;
- it comes pre-installed with 4amp fuses so can't run 170 pixels on an output at full 100% white out of the box; and
- while the 4th line on each output (clock line) can be reconfigured to be an additional data line expanding to 32 * 170 pixels, the power is again a limiting factor if you aren't DIY capable.

You really are paying for convenience, so as long as you are aware and accept its limitations, its a good entry level controller.

You will generally pay a premium for ready to run that could limit your creativity (and add cost) in later years. If I started over I would have bought the Hansen he123 mk2 with a beaglebone green and housed the controller myself. Not a knock on the quality of Advatek's pixlite, just more comfortable building my own now.
oooh this is the exact types of information I've been looking for! Thank you for that. I had also been looking at the HE123 as well, and I definitely don't want to be limited further down the track.

vk3heg

Full time elf
If your just starting out, a good learning controller is the rPi-28D+ from Hanson Electronic. It will comfortably control around 1000 leds. It just plugs into a raspberry pi, and the pixels into either of the two 2811 pixel outputs.

The software FPP has direct support for them, and you'll be using the same software (xlights/fpp) that everyone else is using.

Canispater Christmas aka Jeff has a very good video about the rPi-28D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah233Bkc_yo&feature=youtu.be&t=417

Last edited:

Old Salt

Apprentice elf
Like you, I'm just starting out with addressable lights. What I bring to the table is over 50 years of working or playing with electronics, computers and software. OK, so computers and software 'only' dates back 46 years. What I've learned over the years is:
  • Look to the future. Is there a chance you'll go full Monty?
  • Do your homework, and check out what's available.
  • Standardize, standardize, standardize...
  • Stay with one manufacturer, and one dealer for each class of hardware and software.
If there's a chance you'll go full Monty, get products from a manufacturer that will take you there right from the start.

There's a steep learning curve. It's almost vertical. Take the time to read manuals before buying. Check what others are using. I started by downloading xLights, and working with the program. It's probably the most versatile free light control software in existence. Whatever you choose, check what hardware it supports.

When you standardize your hardware and software, the learning curve shortens dramatically. Use the same SBC (Single Board Computer) and Controller families, so you'll only need to learn one. The same goes for light strings, power supplies, and other hardware. If your show ends up with multiple SBCs and controllers of the same type - buy a spare. There's nothing as disappointing as having something fail, blanking out part of your show for days while you wait for a replacement.

Staying with one manufacturer, or dealer for each class of hardware and software gives you one-stop-shopping for support. They won't be able to blame your problem on anyone else. It also makes it easier on your vendor to support you.

My first hardware project is a stand alone DIY 60 x 60 matrix display. I did the above, and decided on Kulp Controllers, and Beaglebone Black or Pocket Beagle SBCs. The matrix itself will be strips of 28xx RGB lights. Here's a list of the electrical/electronic components that I have in stock, or on order:
  • switch - for mains
  • circuit breaker - 5A for mains (110VAC in North America)
  • power supply - 5VDC 70Amp (bigger than needed - just in case)
  • fuse block - six fuse capacity (four for lights, one for the SBC/Controller, one not used)
  • current sensor module - works with Arduino/Pi (100Amp capacity to check power supply output; not part of project)
  • Kulp K4-PB - with Pocket Beagle, OLED Display, 1200MBS nano WiFi, 32GB SD card (900 pixels per string planned)
  • light strips - 2812 5V RGB 60LED/m black PCB (13 x 5m rolls, including one spare)
The strips will be cut and mounted on a sheet of aluminum to form the matrix. That and all other components will be encased in a wood frame. The cost for the above components including shipping was $518.25 CAD plus customs.

The Kulp K4-PB has 4 local ports (fused with LED indicators) that can each drive over 800 pixels (with power injection) at 40FPS. I'll be driving it at 20 frames per second, as this is a stand alone display. I won't use power from the Kulp K4-PB controller to drive the strips. They'll be driven from the fuse block. My plan, should I choose to expand, is to stay with Kulp/Beagle.

Jay.S

Full time elf
@Old Salt You will be needing WAY more than one spare roll of strip. Strip is notoriously unreliable. Also because the manufacturing process is hardly well controlled there will be color differences if you don't get strips from the same batch.

Old Salt

Apprentice elf
@Old Salt You will be needing WAY more than one spare roll of strip. Strip is notoriously unreliable. Also because the manufacturing process is hardly well controlled there will be color differences if you don't get strips from the same batch.

Once again, I may be going to the school of hard knocks. They're on their way, and it's too late for second guessing. I'm hoping for few problems mounting them. Once in place, there they'll stay.

Junior

Full time elf
That's a pretty good deal. Considering the controller it self is just over high 300 dollars.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.