Issues with WS2811 Strip

rvenegas

Apprentice elf
Hi, just making some tests of my christmas props i just found out something with my WS2811 Flex Strip

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html[/size]
[/size]
[/size]i made some windows and door frames, with doors it took an entire 5m strip, however windows frame took 2 strips.
[/size]With the same power supply, at the end of first strip i connecedt the second trip using the ending connection cable of first strip, then i applied power injecting to 2nd strip. Running some tests the second trip does not work.
[/size]
[/size] I disconnected the second one and made a test directly to controller, works fine, i did connect a new strip to the end of first one and no luck.
[/size]
[/size]At this point i'm starting to think that it is not possible to connect 2 strips despite power injecting the second one, the thing is really concerning me is that in the string package it says "please do not connect 2 strings in a row". i dont know if this warning is for power considerations or this is about the ending cable is not able to pass data .
[/size]
[/size]Cheers,
[/size]
[/size]Ricardo.
[/size]

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You can definetly connect 2 or more of these strips together with power injection

Check your connections or you may have damaged the output of the last pixel on the first strip, so it does not send any data

logandc99

Dedicated elf
You can connect several together so long as there is power injection - in fact I have 5 connected together of that exact same strip using power injection on my roof using a P2. What controller are you using? You will have to make sure that the output from the controller is set to recognise that you are using two strips on the smae output - a total of 100 pixels (300 channels) i.e 50 pixels (or 150 channels) per strip. Having said that, I do have couple of those strips that will not talk to eachother but will light up if plugged in separately to the controller. Not sure why as I have managed to run each of these strips with other ones... just not with eachother.

Boof63

Senior elf
is power running both ways at the 2nd injection point, I found that this stopped mine working properly, so I only injected in one direction, ie at the start of each strip, I have 5 in sequence on my roof.
cheers Boof63

rvenegas

Apprentice elf
thanks a to to Eddy, Logan and Boof.
i agree, i think i can connect them in a row, actually the ending cable says "DO" , what i think it means "Data output".
The controller is a P12S, every channel configured for 100 pixels.
maybe there is a problem with ending connection of string No. 1. I will some test and i get back to you guys.

Cheers,

Ricardo.

SaiLomHangRuk

New elf
that's exactly something I was thinking today. maybe I just want to blame a condition rather than admit to myself that most people dislike my face.

rvenegas

Apprentice elf
Thank a lot guys, the Data output cable in string No.1 was broken inside strip, i alreay repalced it and now window frame is working fine.

Cheers,

Ricardo.