Joining Strips

welby

New elf
I'm currently stuck trying to work out the best way to join my strips along my gutters. Last year i just used the JST connectors and tucked them inside the conduit everything was mounted on and ran multiple power injection cables, one pair for each of my four strips inside the conduit aswell and used wago connectors. This was all a bit of a last minute thing so this year i want to make it a bit easier, neater and weatherproof. My plan was to run pigtails off every strip but i was wondering how everyone else did it? I was planning on dropping back to one cable for power injection this year and just teeing of it at every strip starting point. So my question was do people solder two pigtails to the start of a strip and one to the previous strip endpoint? The picture below is the start of a strip so i guess two pigtails on here, a pigtail on the previous strip and a pigtail from the power injection wire?

Hope that makes sense or is there an easier way.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210909_151004.jpg
    IMG_20210909_151004.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 3

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Where I am joining 2 strips/strings together on a prop where I don't ever plan to disassemble them at that particular point, I will solder and heatshrink then tape over the heatshrink to secure the wires.

Where I am joining 2 strips/strings together between props or injecting power, I will use these connectors here: Click for Aliexpress page they are like an Xconnect connector but smaller so easier to tuck away and hide (Also cheaper by far)

For power injection I have 2 pigtails at the start of one section of the prop and one at the end of the previous, end pigtail and start pigtail can plug into each other, I make the power injection pigtail the opposite gender as to avoid pluging power injection into the wrong pigtail.

You do what you see best for yourself, but remember waterproofing is key, water + electricity is bad, even on low voltages

welby

New elf
Where I am joining 2 strips/strings together on a prop where I don't ever plan to disassemble them at that particular point, I will solder and heatshrink then tape over the heatshrink to secure the wires.

Where I am joining 2 strips/strings together between props or injecting power, I will use these connectors here: Click for Aliexpress page they are like an Xconnect connector but smaller so easier to tuck away and hide (Also cheaper by far)

For power injection I have 2 pigtails at the start of one section of the prop and one at the end of the previous, end pigtail and start pigtail can plug into each other, I make the power injection pigtail the opposite gender as to avoid pluging power injection into the wrong pigtail.

You do what you see best for yourself, but remember waterproofing is key, water + electricity is bad, even on low voltages

Thanks mate i think i'm just overthinking it.