Just about ready to purchase my P12x

jimcllc

Apprentice elf
I've been reading a lot about the different controllers and have just about made my decision (either the P12S or the new P12D) . Just 2 questions. Is there a better time to purchase one and is there a price sheet from Ed for the newer controller?

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
There is really on better time for purchasing controllers as they don't go on sale like lights do.

The information on the J1Sys site is pretty outdated and we all hope that Ed can get the site updated one of these days with better info and pricing but for now the best bet is to drop him an email at j1sales@joshua1systems.com and have him give you pricing on whatever you are looking for.

He is very good at getting back to you with the pricing.

As a note for you to consider, if you have any distances that you are going to have to run signals (think anything over approx. 25 feet) away from the controller) then you may want to consider the P12D model instead of the P12S one as the D has the differential outputs built in and can drive signal a long distance and then you would use one of Ed's PPR-x receiver units at the pixel location.

Here is the basic info on the controllers for you to get an idea on pricing.
J1sys product line.JPG

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
That is correct, the D is only $25 more! The P12X is $225 and the P12D is $250. That is why I recommend the D over the X anymore as it is a better value and for such a little amount it is worth it in my opinion. The reason that they are listed as P12S/P12X and P12S/P12D is that the unit is made up of 2 circuit boards and the bottom board is the P12S which is the same board on both units but the top boards are different between the two types.

However you need to remember that if you use the D in differential mode on an output, you will need a receiver board for each output that you use differential on. So if you use 5 of the outputs (out of the 12) in differential output mode, you will need 5 receivers. Which receiver you use will depend on the distance and power requirements you need for the pixels on that receiver.
Most of the time you would probably be able to use a PPR-B receiver which is only $9 each.
The PPR-C for $13 has a 5V 1.5A regulator on it and the PPR-D for $16 has a 24 volt to 5 volt 5A converter on it for added power if needed.

Hope that helps.

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ

dale82

Senior elf
There will be an update soon to make it 2 universes per output in the p12's as yagoona lights said in chat yesterday

jimcllc

Apprentice elf
I would really like to get the new Joshua P 12 D however a lot of people are telling me that the support for Joshua systems is very lackluster. More people seem to be using The San devices because of the support. What do you guys find about support?

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
jimcllc said:
I would really like to get the new Joshua P 12 D however a lot of people are telling me that the support for Joshua systems is very lackluster. More people seem to be using The San devices because of the support. What do you guys find about support?

While I have yet to require any assistance from J1Sys directly, I have heard a few cases of people having to get assistance or service without too much trouble such as this quote:

"I received the P-2 (new board) back today. According to Ed's investigation it was a bad ethernet chip. It worked fine when he started to test it and then started to exhibit the same problems I was encurring.

Great customer service and turn around time from J1sys."

From this thread:

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=6625.15

As with anything, there are always going to be good and bad occurrences with things but I have found Ed at J1Sys to be quite quick to respond to any inquires that I have made to him and so far I have no reason to doubt or not trust in him.
Just my 2 cents worth I guess.

gerry

Senior elf
I have three P2s from J1sys at different times and had very quick responses to my order requests and questions.

I did not know until very recently (ie in chat today) that these are also available through Ben of Yagoona Lights

Had no problems after getting them as I have seen from posts that Ed runs a quick test on each one before shipping it out.

Also , heaps of information and help from folks on this forum in getting it going if one is stuck etc.

Also , the Pixlite 16 is quite good and there is excellent support for the pixlites as well.

these are the only ones I have used .

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
I have a mix of J1sys stuff, Pixlite & AVD whilst Ed (J1sys) is probably the hardest to get hold of Yagoona lights and may others use them and know them inside out so it is not a great issue.

The guys from Advatek (Pixlite) are in chat and are pretty easy to get hold of and David (AVD) is also in chat (even though his boards are DMX).

So it really gets down to what you are comfortable with they all have their pros & cons and what some do you may never need & problems some have may never be an issue to your set up.

mborg10

Michael Borg
I know your from Illinois but everyone else from Oz can buy j1sys controllers from Yagoona Lights. He's also good for support as well. I have 2 p12s and 4 p2s.