K32A-B Beaglebone

Roark96

New elf
I am hoping this is the right area for this one.

I am in the process of planning out my first build. Looking at using a K32!-B to run my setup. I am thinking I will come in right around 3,000 pixels to start with a 16/50 mega tree, 6 candy canes and couple other props. On paper it looks like I should be able to run my entire setup with this controller but It seems like folks run a separate controller for just their trees. Budget really isn't a huge issue told my accountant (wife) that I need 2K USD to start but I can increase that number if I need to. I just want a successful show for my first go at it! Thanks folks!

TerryK

Retired Elf
You may also research a Raspberry Pi and Pi-Hat. RPis can be obtained from numerous sources; Pi-Hats from Falcon's website. Falcon controllers can be purchased there too.
A individual controller can be used for the tree but with the output capacity and/or expansion possibilities of some controllers it becomes more of a personal decision of how compartmentalized one decides to make one's display. One does need to keep in mind the number of ports, pixels per port, and the refresh/update rate of the chosen controller.

I have an Easter display that runs on a RPi/Pi-Hat. Nothing against Beaglebones, I looked at BBBs and simply choose a different path. Aside from several RPis and a couple Pi-Hats I also have a couple Falcon F4v3 controllers.

Roark96

New elf
I was initially going to use a Falcon F4V4 but came across the Beaglebones and felt like there was more support. I haven't looked into the Raspberry Pi much but have seen it come up in research. I am really open to anything since I am still planning and wont start ordering for a few weeks.

Danielr

Lights On Botanical
Generous elf
I use K32. My first year I had around 4,000 pixels. This season I had 11,500 and still just the one controller and no power injection because with the K32 you have 4 RJ45 jacks that you can run differential receivers off, so there is a ton of room for expansion. You can also run the audio from the K32. I did a walk through video recently that you can check out. https://auschristmaslighting.com/media/walk-through-video.1395/

TerryK

Retired Elf
I would be hard pressed to say one is supported better than the others. The BBBs, RPis, and Falcons are all well supported here (ACL) and any would be a good choice. For a single controller, Falcons would give you better expansion possibilities I think and between the F4, F16, or F48 the option of a controller to better fit your planned display.