Larger power supplies for bigger Props

Jarrad33

150k of Pixels for 2023
Hi All

I have a few new props coming that have 2k in lights for each and as you should only run 1500 light per 350 power supply as per this

View: http://videos.xlights.org/xessentials-power-injection-made-easy_aa614f962.html

I was thinking would it be better to go a 750 or even a 1600watt power supply to save on space
750 watt https://www.arrow.com/en/products/rsp-750-12/mean-well-enterprises
(this might be a bit over kill) 1600 watt https://www.arrow.com/en/products/rsp-1600-12/mean-well-enterprises

Has anyone used any bigger than a 350watt supply before ??

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I know a few use server power supplies for 12V, but 350W will do well over 2k pixels for us 5V users

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
Maybe worth considering these

bpratt

Senior elf
+1 to the above, that's what I ran for my display last year.

the jboards breakout boards are good too.

You can also get the HP PSU's in 750 watt and other varieties too.

Adsy

Full time elf
These are good options but if you need a breakout board stay away from the hp DPS-800GB A. I bought these without to much research and I believe they have a different pin out which is unsuitable for most breakout boards

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
These power supplies are great for build quality and cost.
But I warn you to buy a supply within your mains power limitations.

You're likely wanting a supply with this sort of IEC C13/14 connector as these are a sign they consume a maximum of 10A.
IEC_60320_C13.svg.png

Big server power supplies will have something like IEC C19/20 which is rated up to 16A.
1024px-IEC_60320_C19.svg.png

Most (pretty much all) household sockets are rated 10A.
A power supply with a 16A connector is an indication that at full load it could draw up to 16A on the mains input.

The dangerous part is that these bigger power supplies (with 16A connector) will work on a household outlet because most circuits are rated 16A, but the sockets are rated 10A.

I would buy power supplies that use this IEC C13/14 connector:
IEC_60320_C13.svg.png

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
These are good options but if you need a breakout board stay away from the hp DPS-800GB A. I bought these without to much research and I believe they have a different pin out which is unsuitable for most breakout boards

Out of sheer fluke I have a number of power supply breakout pcb designs that will be going in for production tomorrow. There's every possibility that 1 of the ones that is going in will suit this server power supply as there are 2 different connector sizes that I have designs for.

Adam V

Apprentice elf
Out of sheer fluke I have a number of power supply breakout pcb designs that will be going in for production tomorrow. There's every possibility that 1 of the ones that is going in will suit this server power supply as there are 2 different connector sizes that I have designs for.
I’m about to buy 2 from USA for the hp 1200w . Do you have any more info on these? Would rather support local.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I’m about to buy 2 from USA for the hp 1200w . Do you have any more info on these? Would rather support local.
I will be ordering the pcbs tomorrow and hopefully have them to me around the following Monday. Not sure on pricing yet. They are likely to cost less than what shipping is from US and quite probably quicker getting from me after they are built based on my own experience with international shipping over the last month.

bjpc2716

who dares win

bpratt

Senior elf

Looking forward to seeing what you have coming up.

Sooner buy in Australia, than from overseas where I can.

Adsy

Full time elf
That sounds encouraging Alan.I was going to solder direct to the board then to a couple of power distribution boards but was afraid I may melt something ,plus breakout boards keep things tidy

Reactions: AAH

TerryK

Retired Elf
I was thinking would it be better to go a 750 or even a 1600watt power supply to save on space
750 watt https://www.arrow.com/en/products/rsp-750-12/mean-well-enterprises
(this might be a bit over kill) 1600 watt https://www.arrow.com/en/products/rsp-1600-12/mean-well-enterprises

Has anyone used any bigger than a 350watt supply before ??

Something seldom mentioned is, it is typical for larger supplies to have additional capabilities. Overload recovery method, remote sensing, and supply paralleling are a few. Depending upon how your display is designed those may or may not be of advantage to you. Important in all supplies, even more so high wattage supplies, is proper fusing of power runs.