Late start to 2022

JacksonHo

New elf
Hi all,

After thinking about getting into computerised christmas lighting for several years I'm thinking about taking the jump off the cliff into it. I have some WLED controlled deck lights out the front of my house that didn't get used much over winter and I went to turn them on for holloween and noticed that the power supply box got full of water so I need to get that all sorted so thought now is as good a time as any. I know it is late in the year so I just wanted to ensure I have everything covered off after reading the 101 document.

I'm pretty comfortable with the electrical aspect due to wiring the deck lights with WLED, noting I will make sure the power supplies aren't located in a section of the yard that floods with the excessive rain over the past fortnight. Am I missing anything I need to get started, I've got programming experience from uni and also run home assistant for automation in my house. Looking to start smaller then expand out over the next few years.

Proposed shopping list

Smarts FPP- HE123 MK2 16-48 OUTPUT PIXEL BOARD and BeagleBone Green from Hanson ~$200
PSU - Meanwell 5V 300W from Light it up LEDS ~ $70
Lights - Around 500 ETOP WS2811 50 Count Strings Leds from Light it up ~$250.

Other than misc cables, mounting etc is there anything obvious I am missing.

Thanks

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
Seems like a solid start

Download xLights, create a new show folder on your PC, import a photo of your house and layout some props / house outline as you can do this without purchasing anything and seem if you like the outcomes and have a play around with some effects and sequences.

Also what are you planning to do with the pixels, house outline? Arches? Mini Trees if so how are you thinking of making these as some Coro Vendors offer neat solutions

As you mentioned lots of misc items, like cables, enclosures, etc and a million trips to the Bunnings :)

Are you going wanting to have music, and thus maybe want to think about about a FM transmitter

Just to put a spanner in the works, I think Faclon Controllers may also be available in Aus soon, also Advatek offer pixel controllers if your not 100% sold on the HE123 Mk2

Falcon Controller (but the shipping time may be a killer for this year) https://aus.pixelcontroller.com/store/pixel-controllers/74-f16v4-expansion-board.html

Advatek Controller (but are listed for $600) https://www.advateklights.com/pixlite-16-mk2-control-board

As you are probably aware if using 5V PSU orderalso 5V pixels, plus be aware of some extra power injection compared to 12V

if you don't bite the bullet for this upcoming season, maybe have look to see if anyone in your area also has a display and you want be able to pay them a day time visit for a look and some tips.
Also Troy from Extreme Lighting Displays has had some Friday night zoom sessions lately, you may want to jump onto one of zoom sessions (I think he announces them on FaceBook)

JacksonHo

New elf
Thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't planning on having music this year, in my head I was planning on building up slowly into music after I see how well I go this year.
I have a probably illegal sized front fence in height which limits some of my options, I was mostly planning on doing a roof outline, 3 mini trees on top of the roof pillars and then arches on the front brick fence. The plan was to make the mini trees out of the planters at Bunnings. Arches I was going to read the forum once the plan was all in place.
The main driver for 5V was the fact I have 20m of light strips spare now the power supply has broken but it looks like the 12v pixels are a bit more available currently.

Wayne1

Apprentice elf
I started at this time last year, ending up going with the Advatek Controller PixLite 16 Plug & Play Mk2 https://www.advateklights.com/pixlite-16-mk2-plug-and-play cost ~1.1k but given the cost of all parts it's an Ok price.

I didn't think I was going to have time to build controllers, learn all about the control and xlights side in less than 4 weeks, plus build it all. It was the right choice for me and work out so well that this year's display will be 4 times bigger.

Good luck

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
Thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't planning on having music this year, in my head I was planning on building up slowly into music after I see how well I go this year.
I have a probably illegal sized front fence in height which limits some of my options, I was mostly planning on doing a roof outline, 3 mini trees on top of the roof pillars and then arches on the front brick fence. The plan was to make the mini trees out of the planters at Bunnings. Arches I was going to read the forum once the plan was all in place.
The main driver for 5V was the fact I have 20m of light strips spare now the power supply has broken but it looks like the 12v pixels are a bit more available currently.

Also Alan Hanson may have 5V pixels in stock ;https://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/ws2811-5v-nodes-10cm/
Also suggest to get one of these pixel testers, as they are great for testing and can also be used for simple stand alone effects

Send Paul from a message if he has these in stock of you want 5v (nothing wrong with 5V, you just need to add a little power injection every 50 to pixel or so, its not hard to do).
don't forget to also grab some xconnect pigtails to suit
Also consider this pixel tester if ordering from Paul

Paul also has some Power Injector T connectors which can make the power injection easier (and less having to solder wires)

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Ahh, there are a couple of folk from the 'gong around here, as well as a number in the Sydney region as well (myself included).
Next year I imagine we will be running the Sydney Mini again; that would definitely be worth attending to chat to other like-minded folk about all things blinky as well, and to pick up ideas and learn new tips and tricks.

JacksonHo

New elf
We now have the injection Ts with the 2 core pigtails attached (no bare wire)...we unfortunately were waiting on stock to come which now has arrived...:)
Sweet, I don’t mind soldering but I definitely would prefer not to do it.
I’ll put an order through on Sunday for lights and cables after I measure out my runs.