Latest winter build

scamper

Dedicated elf
Last year over winter I spent my spare time building a version on Smeighan's 9 foot nutcracker. It turned out a huge talking point.
Well as the rain has started, I was at a loss as to what to do this year, there are so many novel ideas, so I put it to my daughter. Big mistake!
This is what she wants me to build..... Just bigger!

So I started by measuring the main dimensions of the model, then upscaling the whole lot to get a rough size.
I have drawn the outline out on a sheet of ply ready to cut out the cab.
I am taking some inspiration off videos and pictures I have seen on the internet and will be mostly making it up as I go along, but will be documenting it as I go along, so will post the build here if anyone is interested.
as with the nutcracker, it is a long term project, so there will be long gaps between posts.

Attachments

• nut sml.jpg
    nut sml.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 150
  • model.jpg
    model.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 151
  • sketch.jpg
    sketch.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 140

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
That will look great. You'l have to sequence a song from the movie "Polar Express" now.

scamper

Dedicated elf
BundyRoy said:
That will look great. You'l have to sequence a song from the movie "Polar Express" now.
I may need to sit down with the kids and watch it again to find a song first :)
But good idea !

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You definitely have your work cut out for you with this project, I look forward to seeing how you progress with it

kel

Dedicated elf
work18.gif

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Yea, you took on a good one with this! :D

It should be quite the sight though. Look forward to seeing the progress.

Good luck.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I had to work out where it was going to live before I even started. I have now decided to build a storage/railway workshop down the side of the house. And if I am going to do that I might as well make it big enough to store the sleigh and a bunch of other stuff.

On a positive note today, I went to the local salvage yard today and they had some sheets of 15mm ply going out cheap, so I have spent a few hours in the shed tonight cutting out the base and seats. I already had a sheet of 9mm so have cut the front and 1 side already.
But better than that, I was talking to a mate and just randomly asked if he knew where I could get some train wheels.
To my surprise, he said he had 4 small ones that I could have :)
Now to find 2 more larger ones.

And no Alec, I think 12v electric powered will be just fine!

scamper

Dedicated elf
I didn't get much time in the shed this weekend, but I did manage to get the other bits of the cab cut out and then stapled together. (I am gluing and using an air stapler to assemble, I will be adding 42x19 pine in the structural weak points with either bolts or screws)

Attachments

• cab back.jpg
    cab back.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 93
  • cab front.jpg
    cab front.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 97

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
I love watching projects like this come to life!
This is going to be a great addition for you to the display.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Trains looking great!, but is that a whack a mole game in the background? Love the arcade games too.