led density?

marmalade

cats & pixels
First post, lot's of excellent info and helpful people here!

Got the dumb christmas lights bug big this year so looks like the major 2016 project will be sequencing, frame building and a few pixel displays.

I noticed that most of the ropes and led strings have a relatively low led density (10 leds/m) giving a pixelated effected rather than a smooth contiguous light output. Is this the norm? Compared to led strips with 30 or 60 leds per m it seems much less (especially when strung on wireframes).

Currently I usually double up the dumb strings to achieve 5cm spacings which give a brighter and more consistent light output. This is quite messy though in terms of wiring!

Looking forward to hearing what everyone does, happy to receive any advice/input/opinions. I'm sure i'll be posting a lot of questions and giving the chinese/aus economy a bit of a boost this coming year :)

cheers

i13

Dedicated elf
If you want pixel or dumb RGB strings, ask the seller to change the spacing for you. Ray Wu is an example of a seller who does this. Remember to specify that it is the centre-to-centre spacing or otherwise they'll get it wrong.

Also note that for 12V strips, each pixel typically has three LEDs. This means the LEDs can only be controlled in groups of three.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Diffusing the light source allows for a much smoother look like using a frosted tube or diffused aluminium channel will help give the effect you are looking for

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
Hi marmalade,

Welcome to ACL. In regards to the wire frames,it can be difficult to use the led strips due to their limitations in bending all directions. For wire frames i use 10 mm rope light to be able to get into those tight corners.. Enjoy the journey ahead and merry christmas.

JPB

Full time elf
I had Ray make up some strings of 2811 pixels at 60mm centres for my wire frames this year. I then cable tied them at about 50mm centres. If I had asked for the strings at 50mm centres the length of the cable between the pixels would have been a bit short/fiddly for joints or adding power injection etc.
These pixels
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/50pcs-DC5V-input-WS2811-LED-pixel-light-with-all-BLACK-wire-IP68-rated-epoxy-resin-filled/1821855394.html

Here is a video of them in operation. Bells, Star and Angel. BTW it is the same pixels on the tree.
https://vimeo.com/148137061

Jon

marmalade

cats & pixels
Thanks for taking the time to post some excellent info guys, most definitely a great help to a nublet :)

Eddy do you know any suppliers of that opaque tubing? Smallest I could find was 20mm although sure I've seen it smaller!

Very nice display JPB, you have a similar frontage to us so your video is quite inspirational !

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
marmalade said:
Eddy do you know any suppliers of that opaque tubing? Smallest I could find was 20mm although sure I've seen it smaller!

Ive mounted my lights permanently to my house so I can use them for any reason and I can control these via my phone.
I actually have the channel in stock in 3 metre lengths

Attachments

• House 1.JPG
    House 1.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 23
  • House 2.JPG
    House 2.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 25
  • profile board.JPG
    profile board.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 32

Trioxide

New elf
Fasteddy said:
Ive mounted my lights permanently to my house so I can use them for any reason

What lights are you using that will do this? I want to mount them to my house also and stay there year round so they need to be durable to stand up to the constant weather.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Trioxide said:
Fasteddy said:
Ive mounted my lights permanently to my house so I can use them for any reason

What lights are you using that will do this? I want to mount them to my house also and stay there year round so they need to be durable to stand up to the constant weather.

Im using Minleon strip with the Minleon Wireless effects Controller (WEC). Ive had this running every night for 5 hours since the end of January and not one light has failed in this time. Ive put the strip inside diffused aluminium channel so it looks clean and professional and helps diffuse the light better.
Ive also had a length of strip on the backyard fence line that is completely exposed to the elements and that as well has not missed a beat.
The lights are controlled via my phone and now there is an app that also works with the Minleon WEC that is called RGB connect and available at both the Apple store and the android store that makes it even easier to use the lights the way I want because we shouldn't have to wait just for Christmas to enjoy good decorative lighting

Trioxide

New elf
Do you have to use Minleon's controller for those lights or can you use another one? How do they compare to lights from Ray Wu which looks like a popular supplier on this site?
Anybody using lights from Ray Wu to mount outside the house for use year round? Reading from this forum he is a good supplier but there have been some issues so I want to make sure I get something that will last. I am brand new to this so would appreciate any help but was thinking the Pixel strips would be good for this, like this one:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/BLACK-PCB-5m-DC5V-WS2812B-led-pixel-srip-IP68-30pcs-WS2812B-M-with-30pixels-reverse-protection/701799_926778326.html

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.