LED Motifs

denno020

Apprentice elf
Where do people buy their LED motif lights? Just curious where the best price is, or if people are in deed paying over $100 per motif..

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
if your meaning like a frame with lights..
then think of it like this,
i brought my frames from santa's workshop in qld 26yrs ago..
(there is also another one that has the singing faces)

the lights have been from incan's ,to leds ,now to pixels over the years.
but the frames have lasted, light weight, built great, an will continue to last..
yes, they did cost $$$$, but divide that over all the years..
great investment

JPB

Full time elf
smartalec said:
if your meaning like a frame with lights..
then think of it like this,
i brought my frames from santa's workshop in qld 26yrs ago..
(there is also another one that has the singing faces)

the lights have been from incan's ,to leds ,now to pixels over the years.
but the frames have lasted, light weight, built great, an will continue to last..
yes, they did cost $$$$, but divide that over all the years..
great investment
Ditto but maybe not 26 years, 14 to 16 for me.
And I since welded up some of my own as well.
You could look around after Christmas for people tossing them out because of faulty light strings and then put pixels on them.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
If you're talking wire frames, I bought my pre-lit singing trees from http://www.christmascreations.net.au/

1st year of using them, but I suspect the aluminium frame will last ages, like alec may need (or want) to replace lights after a while. Reasonable price considering how much everyone enjoys them, and I don't have the tools or time to make them.

Damien isn't always quick with the orders, and has admitted he can't do websites :) , but is good to deal with and often has sales on items. He has a lot of wireframes only and I suspect if you asked he'd do the pre-lit ones without lights.

Seems https://www.santasworkshop.com.au/ site is down for maintenance, so can't compare prices.

Disclaimer: not associated with the company, just a reasonably satisfied customer.

denno020

Apprentice elf
Thanks for the replies guys! You do make a good point, they're an investment more than anything.. I guess I will have to build up over the course of the year, instead of leaving it all until the Christmas season is upon us!

i13

Dedicated elf
There is the occasional frame item that we can get cheaper. An example is the spiral tree frames which you can get for $15 at Cheap as Chips. I posted about them here https://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,9028.0.html

Starburst frames can also be made quite cheaply using parts from hardware stores.

denno020

Apprentice elf
Yeah I already have one of those tomato planter "tree" lights.

I would love to make my own frames, but I don't weld! I could make it out of wood but then it would be chunky and possibly ugly to look at during the day time (not that metal is any prettier, but at least it wouldn't be as bulky looking)

i13

Dedicated elf
Yeah my starburst is made of wood. I painted it to blend in with the house and it doesn't look too bad. The main disadantage is that it's heavy. Pipes/tubing and connectors are a more popular way of making them.

denno020

Apprentice elf
That'd be awesome mate, thanks! Would love to see them lit up as well as in the daylight if possible

i13

Dedicated elf
I have attached them. Didn't have much luck getting a lit up photo as it kept blurring. I can try again when I borrow my sister's camera.

I'm wishing I'd used strip with single LED control instead of groups of three.

Attachments

• 20161215_132006[1].jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 8
  • 20161215_132006[1].jpg
    20161215_132006[1].jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 46
  • 20161215_220008[1].jpg
    20161215_220008[1].jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 40

denno020

Apprentice elf
That's perfect mate, exactly what I was hoping to see. Nicely done!

The wood surprisingly doesn't stand out any more than metal would.. Could have even painted them white and you'd almost not notice them.

How do they hold up with the weather? Is this the first year they've been out?

i13

Dedicated elf
This is its 3rd year and there's no deterioration. I used outdoor paint like you would on the external timber on a house. It's also in a partly sheltered location and rarely gets rained on.

The biggest disadvantage of the wood is the weight. The arms are 1.2 metre lengths of pine and it's heavy. There's a bird's nest of wires on the front in the middle. This isn't noticeable at night and it might have been better if I'd painted the wood white (same colour as cables).