Led net lights 5 wires

Homer2014

Apprentice elf
G'day, I just got a 6 metre net light with the multifunction controller on it.

Was wondering if I can cut the 5 wires off the controller going to the lights and run it on a DMX36 ?.

1681755f6925a11848c1b2dda26f58d4.jpg

Cheers

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I would think that you would be right to do that. Without seeing the pcb I would say that you have a common and 4 channels there.
Where did you get the net light and how much if you don't mind me asking?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Looks similar to the ones I bought. They work well on 30V DC.

The 3rd wire in (closest to the wires from transformer) is the common +ve. It should be marked by having a loop in the wire near the MFC.

The other 4 wires are the switched -ve channels.

Homer2014

Apprentice elf
Thanks.

I've got power supply + DMX36 and a f16 when group buy closes. That's as far into this Xmas lighting thing I've gone so far !!. Thanks for helping.

8338b7d2277ff20843d1e8f1b7619773.jpg

C4321& power input.

Considering I'm a newbie would I just connect C to + on DMX36 and double up the other wires into the board ?.

i13

Dedicated elf
Not sure what you mean by doubling up the other wires. In my opinion the biggest challenge with DC non-RGB lights is trying to figure out what voltage they require.

I think AAH wanted to see the actual circuitry inside but I'd still be surprised if you can't use that net light with a DC controller. It was a good find.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Looks like I remembered incorrectly on the wire order or yours is different. :)

C would go to the V+ terminal and the 4 3 2 1 would go to individual channel terminals on the DMX36.

Not sure if the DMX36 has a test mode so you can test the lights without a DMX signal source.

AAH

Yeah it was the back of the pcb that I was interested in but it's no biggy. You can't damage those style of lights by connecting them wrong.
On 2 other notes the DMX36 does have a test mode and the fitting off quality inside that controller looks to be excellent and well above the usual Chinese quality.

Homer2014

Apprentice elf
Thought I'd have a go with these lights but had my first expensive mistake, must have blown up the DMX36 on the first run !!! Forgot about the 5v jumper.

Homer2014

Apprentice elf
Ok have got the Dmx36 running, connected the net lights with com wire to + and others into board. Lights are working but not very bright at all. MFC says 24v. checked voltage out of the box and its around 23v. I have 24v into the DMX36.
Would I just need to up the voltage or have I gone wrong somewhere ?
Cheers

AAH

With 24VAC lights you will quite often need 27-30V DC to match the original brightness.

Homer2014

Apprentice elf
Ok thought that may have been it.
Another power supply on the shopping list !!
Cheers

AAH

Most brick style power supplies have a potentiometer that will allow a +/- about 10% adjustment range. 24V + 10% should almost get you around the right sort of voltage.

i13

Dedicated elf
You'll get the best result by measuring the current and choosing the voltage to get the right current. 10mA is a safe current through each LED. Multiply the number of series sections in each channel by 10mA and that is the current you want. In net lights a series section is usually a stripe that comes on across the strip but check the wiring carefully. Each series section is where the LEDs are wired end-to-end between the negatives and the common positive. They're typically around 10 LEDs long.

Homer2014

Apprentice elf
AAH said:
Most brick style power supplies have a potentiometer that will allow a +/- about 10% adjustment range. 24V + 10% should almost get you around the right sort of voltage.

I've got a Meanwell QP320D which unfortunately only has that on the 5v & 12v channels.

Another item on the list !!.

Cheers