LED's Not Running at Full Brightness

BoonDogs

I am self diagnosed with CLAP
Hi all,

I'm running some DC icicle lights through a 6 channel RGB controller at 24vdc (they originally ran at 24vdc too).
The problem is when I run them through the controller, they do not run at the same brightness that they ran at through the original power supply and multifunction controller.

I have attached some pictures below to try to explain better. Is it a possibility that the board is limiting the current flow or something similar? The data sheet for it claims 4amps per channel.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0945.JPG
    IMG_0945.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0944.JPG
    IMG_0944.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0943.JPG
    IMG_0943.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 18

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The "24V light sets" usually use a 24V AC plugpack where as you're using a 24V DC power supply.

That 24V AC is rectified to produce a higher (but choppy) DC voltage.

To get the same brightness, you'll need to use a DC voltage in the range of 29V - 31V.

Personally I use 30V Mean Well power supplies to run my Big W strings with DC controllers.

i13

Dedicated elf
24V is too low so there isn't enough current to light the LEDs. It is the current, not the voltage that lights the LEDs.

To get the LEDs running at the right brightness, you need to calculate the current they should draw and then adjust their input voltage to get them to draw this amount of current. The Big W sets of 200 lights will draw 100mA per channel when your voltage is right. You can modify the light sets to get them running at the same voltage.