let me get this out

Hobes

beneath the Southern Cross
So, I understand the basics, I need computer with software to talk to controller who then talks to pixels.

I need power to supply controller who then powers pixels and every 50 or so, I can inject power to next 50 or so etc etc to gain better light output.

I have ws2811 string and strip, both will be talked to by Pixlite4 via either Xlite or Vixen3 software.

now, each output on pix4, will handle upto 680 pixels, each with 3 ch's, (rgb)... Now I can count/label off 1 thru 680 with software, and these can be placed anywhere I want on my house ( provded they are within 6 or so mtrs), ie, 2 gutters and a gable, with a column on either side, total 680 pixels. and are controlled by software thru the controller on output 1. Software programmed to do what I tell the pixels to do.. ie, change color, on off and blink.... all these pixels can be on separate strings,so long as they all come back to output 1, via pig tails or daisy chain.

out put 2 can do the same thing to a different area or to a set of mini trees. then same as 3 and then 4.

DMX outlet, can then be used for Dumb rgb or just plain white or maybe a already bought Santa figure, to go on off, but NOT change color as the other outputs.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Sounds like you've pretty much got it in 1.
The DMX stuff can be colour changing only if they are 3 channel RGB lights or similar. The DMX outputs can also control snow machines, lasers, pan-tilt moving head lights, servo controlled motors and who knows what else.

i13

Dedicated elf
Well done picking that up so quickly.

There are just a couple of things worth adding. You may or may not need a network switch between your computer and PixLite. Some controllers work without one.

Another thing you can do is use a spare pixel to extend the distance between display items. 6 metres might be pushing the limit but if you put a spare pixel half way in between, you've effectively reduced the distance the data needs to travel to 3 metres. This is called using a null pixel. One lone pixel won't draw enough current to need its own power injection.

gerry

Senior elf
Hi,

Quite a good summary ! Do calculate the power consumptions that you will need and assume a max of 80 % of the PSU capacity . Then see how far you may need to run any power injections.

Also consider that for your actually running your show , you could use the Raspberry Pi and the Falcon player instead of a computer as a player - you don't have to , but many people do .

i13

Dedicated elf
Good point gerry. I'm sure you know this gerry but don't trust the wattage/currents given on the seller's listings for the lights. It is better to measure them for yourself.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.