Lights lagging

grahami2006

Full time elf
Have got my mega tree set up and all lights are good with the exception that they are lagging behind the sequence. I am using 2.5.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
That is your issue, you are using 2.5 which had lagging issues with very large sequences. This has been rectified with the 2.8 version

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
2.5 will work, but there are a few tips to help you here so you don't need to update to 2.8 (But My opinion is to upgrade if you can). Not everyone can update or wants to update, so 2.5 tips are still very valid.

Limit your effects to 10 frames per second, and if you are driving more than 500 pixels at a time with the effect, try to keep the effect length to under 5 seconds, then go to solid colors or manually programmed color changes as for whatever reason this seems to allow LSP to "Catch up". I could do a 10 second sweep across my entire house which was 14,000 channels, but any more than 10 frames per second and 5 seconds long then I had issues with SMALL delays. Not lags, but more of a small stutter for 1/4 sec or less, then the lights "Jumped" to catch up.

2.8 has no problems with this at all in the scheduler during my testing here, but the sequencer in 2.8 and 2.5 sometimes exhibit stuttering, or a slight lag, so this has not been fixed at all in 2.8, no matter what Eddy says - the 2.8 Sequencer has some nice fixes and updates, but it is still built on the 2.5 sequencer base, which needs work, and will be looked at in the upcoming year or so. I know your delays were with the sequencer, and the 2.8 update probably wont do a thing for this error at all, but my tip on macro/transition lengths will likely help a bit.

Oh and a few hints - turn your virus protection either OFF, or at least set it so that it does not do an idle scan in the middle of a show, and add the LSP .OMS and .MSQ files to the safe/ignore list for your virus protection. Forgetting the virus protection is one great way to get your show to grind to a halt!