Lights on Harlequin walk through

Nuzzy

Apprentice elf
@Dave_Szoka its around 4 metres tall. I’ve been told by the better half that I have to make it bigger and better for next year though. Haha. Also maybe going to put some of those flood lights up the top of the palm tree to light up the leaves.

Nuzzy

Apprentice elf
@Robbo the flat tree has the strands right next to each other on the top so 14 inches across and I have the bottom spaced at 3 inches so around 42 inches across the bottom. Then added a bit of margin cos I’m a “measure once, cut 5 times” kinda guy and to leave some space around the strands.

The frame is 20x20 galvanised which I painted black and used a ratchet strap and some 300mm pegs to secure it to the ground.

I bought the 200 foot roll of the Boscoyo strip and cut them at 155 holes to allow for the 75 nodes @ 2 inch spacing (149 holes) then 3 either end to attach it to the frame.

All nodes are 5 volt, it’s run off a single 350 watt power supply and run @ 50% brightness. It is power injected once every strand. I have just used the standard JST connectors filled with Dielectric grease and haven’t had any issues.

I have used these nodes https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/5eNY5i1
From Ray Wu, I bought 24 lots to have some as spares but 3 strings had bad nodes on the from new so only just had enough.

In xlights it’s set up as 7 strings of 150 with 2 strands per string. I am running it off 3 ports on an Pixlite4 with 6 strings on the first 2 ports then 2 strings on the last port. Reason for that is I was going to run 2 power supplies, one for the first 6 strings and the other for the next 8 if it didn’t look any good at 50% brightness but it was all good.

Last edited:

Nuzzy

Apprentice elf
@NTKing(Brad) no problems at all except after the first week the screws went rusty.

View: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rv7ycd1zq6u2qzf/Photo%201-1-19%2C%2010%2044%2047%20am.jpg?dl=0

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Whilst the enclosures are supposed to be waterproof, I'm not sure I fully trust them (and rusty screws only confirm this more for me.)
So I have made corflute & plastic sheeting covers for my floods. This also helps narrow the beam angle too if you do not want them to be as wide coverage.
View media item 914

Nuzzy

Apprentice elf
I opened one up when I got them and they seem to have a reasonable rubber seal on the inside of the glass and all the electronics are coated in silicone so they looked like they would do the job to me. If they leaked then I woulda sent them back.