Lights to bling up a wheelchair

Dreamin

Full time elf
Hi Everyone,

I've mentioned a few times in chat about my kids. My youngest is in a wheelchair, and I was on facebook the other day and someone posted up a push bike all lit up with lights, they had the wheels done and everything, and it gave the impression that it was sequenced. (I might go look for the post and see if I can find it but facebook refreshed and it was gone before I read it all).

I know it's late in the day for projects but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on lighting up his wheelchair? I have 5v strip lights which might work, but not sure how I would control it or power it as the wheels move. The frame would be pretty easy though. I have one of those remote control pixel testers. I'll have him out with me each night for a few of his favorites like Santa shark and little drummer boy so it would be fun, but also a good safety feature! No one will run into him! :)

Any help appreciated, it would make his day, month and probably year to have this set up. I always find this time of year hard as he's a teenager but only really a 4-5 year old in development so buying him presents is quite difficult.

Any advise, tip or help is appreciated. :)

Dreamin

MR_kymm4

Apprentice elf
our ferris wheel is running slip rings with no data issues at all , you could try that and maybe run is off a pi .just 1 idea

Dreamin

Full time elf
our ferris wheel is running slip rings with no data issues at all , you could try that and maybe run is off a pi .just 1 idea
Ohhh, forgot about the old pi. I have a zero that might work, small and compact and lower power usage. Ummmm

Dreamin

Full time elf
You can get a simple pi Hat for it here

Thanks for that link, I've ordered one of them and a voltage converter. I'll see how that goes.

The sliprings might hold me up though. I'm going to need slip rings with a hole in the middle to slip over the axel. About 28.5cm. If I can get them I'll be laughing (or he will). Typically most I have found are for delivery at Christmas time! lol.

Jorge Bolivar

Full time elf
Have you look into WLED in a NodeMCU? 5 Vdc is perfect and the lights can be controlled from a device that accept the application. WLED can be used as stand alone and your son can program any light effect he can come up with. It also can be used with xLights if preferred, just little more work but when he is at home his wheelchair can be part of your display if you like to mess with wifi a bit. PM me if you are interested on WLED, I do have make several projects with it in the past and will be glad to help you .

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Have you look into WLED in a NodeMCU? 5 Vdc is perfect and the lights can be controlled from a device that accept the application. WLED can be used as stand alone and your son can program any light effect he can come up with. It also can be used with xLights if preferred, just little more work but when he is at home his wheelchair can be part of your display if you like to mess with wifi a bit. PM me if you are interested on WLED, I do have make several projects with it in the past and will be glad to help you .
Yes, I've seen that WLED will accept e131 data

Jorge Bolivar

Full time elf
Yes, I've seen that WLED will accept e131 data
Yes. My last year display completely runs on WLED. Was a wild ride but I made it true. This year i was planning to use it on a few garlands and my indoor tree but decide to run a Halloween show and time was short to get this going.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Wow, well done. I've got a few ideas for the extra strip i've got left over, one of which is to brighten up my workbench so I can see at night. Becoming more and more urgent that one.