Little Gem Lights - 2014

Discussion in 'How is my display put together...' started by kevr, Mar 10, 2014.

1. kevr

kevr Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    OK the idea of this post is to get the ball rolling and keep me on track. Once I commit to putting it on paper or in this case on the forum it will most likely happen. After a pretty hectic 2013 we have decided to get the pixel show started, I'm sure there will be the odd meltdown or two but I'll give it a go.

I am converting my 3 street arches to pixels this year, they have previously been 5 channels of 250 multi colour LED's and are 3.5m long. The new ones will be 5m led digital strip from Ray I will use the 10pcs IC and 30pcs 5050 and I will drive these with a ECG-P2 I purchase early last year.

Roof outline will also be using the same strip and most likely a ECG-P12R or similar to drive these and also a couple of strings of the DC12V WS2811 LED Technicolor pixel with C9 covers on my gutters.

I would also like to do a small pixel tree around 3 - 3.5m using the 60pcs/m strip 2.5m of strip and 12 strings and another ECG-P...

So the plan has been layed out;
    300m 4 core has arrived
    first strip, connectors and technicolour pixels ordered
    Vixen 3 has been warmed up

So watch this space.

Kev

2. Beacy

Beacy It's so much better on the dark side

I did the strip arhes last year, the boss gave it a big thumbs down so rgb pixel arches this year.....but she is winding them one ...but she doesn't know that yet lol

3. mborg10

mborg10 Michael Borg

If your planning on using the 60ic per/m strip for your ray tree. I'd suggest keeping it to 2.8m which would be 170 pixels. That way each strip can be controlled on 1 universe. If you want to make it bigger go the 30ic/m which a lot of others have used.

4. Kaden

Kaden Pixels! I need more pixels!

This is old advice now, with controllers like the ECG-P2 you can have 4 universes on 1 string with no problems

5. OP
    OP
    kevr

kevr Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    I've chewed over the arches quite a bit, I am going to put the strip in 50mm flexible conduit to get a nice big tube effect, my arches are made of 10mm steel rod and are self supporting so the conduit should sit nicely.

I liked how Shell did her borders so I'll happily copy that idea using the conduit.

I have wound thousands of LEDs and would recommend using a simple winder, I made mine out of wooden off-cuts and a few bits of PVC, this saved heaps of time.

Yep the tree will be 3-3.5m overall but only 2.5m of strip I'll get the arches sorted then get onto this, it will probably be a steel frame construction as I am use to working with steel.

Kev

6. smartalec

smartalec Im a SmartAlec what can i say! Community Project Designer

Find Me On:
    i'll be doing a simular idea but with 5 fence archs @ 3.5m , an 5 driveway arch's @ 5m
    i will be using the p2 to control them all.
    using the 12v 10ic/30led meter strip,
    but attached to pvc pipe

7. arw01

arw01 Full Time Elf

So are you fellows using the WS2811 with the 10ics for 30 leds, or talking one of the TM family where each IC individually controls 3 leds?

If the former, the worked great in PEX pipe for my arches and along the house. I've heard the 25mm is more translucent, but I was very happy with 17mm here in the states.

Alan

8. dale82

dale82 Senior Elf

Hi, if you look in the gallery for my vids my arches are 2811ic 30led p/m strips on 25mm conduit. And they work really well.

9. OP
    OP
    kevr

kevr Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    Your arches look great. I think the 10pcs IC and 30pcs 5050 will be fine and the conduit will give me a bit of protection from the sun.

We had trouble with the sun melting the hot glue on my corro-stars this year so sun damage to my lights can be a bit of a problem.

Kev

10. OP
    OP
    kevr

kevr Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    More progress, lights ordered on the 10th March from Ray and arrived in New Zealand on the 16th March.

12 strips of the 5m led digital strip,DC12V input,WS2811IC
    100 3 Core White Waterproof pigtail
    3 strings of 50nodes DC12V WS2811 LED technicolor pixel

I will have a play with the setup in the weekend and hopefully see some lights working.

Kev

11. OP
    OP
    kevr

kevr Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    A little more progress this week;

I have ordered 3 new controllers from Luke, two of the PixLite 4's (roof outline & arches) and one of the PixLite 16's. I will use the 16 on my tree which I think is now going to be 16 strings 2.5m long 30 led's/m, I want to put pictures on it so I hope it will be enough for rough images.

Programming has finally started with the backbone of a 4 or 5 started in Vixen 3. I have had a couple of small problems usually me (I.D.10.T error) but overall very happy with Vixen 3. The Lipsync feature is now not far away for Vixen 3 so it will be full steam ahead redoing a couple of sequences, I have decided not to convert the old ones I will redo them and make them even better. I love the singing trees and I just about have to sandblast the smile of my face when I watch them, siple things amuse simple minds I suppose.

I need to order some more 12v power supplies this weekend, more from China I think, I have been using the 24v ones for a few years now and have not had one fail, famous last words! I will buy a couple of spares though.

Kev

12. OP
    OP
    kevr

kevr Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    Wet and cold here today so it's off to the soldering iron to make up some leads for the controllers. I have 3 core waterproof connectors from Ray which I have to lengthen with 4 core security cable to about 400 mm.

I have been looking for some sort of a standard for the connections but I can't find anything, does anyone have a suggestion. Was thinking red + blue - green data, I'm sure I read somewhere to double up the wire on the -ve? I will be making up extensions for the roof as well.

I am going to use ws2811 strip and Pixlite controllers.

Kev

13. AAH

AAH I love blinky lights :) Community Project Designer

Find Me On:
    I use the picture below as a reference. I don't actually have any idea where I found it and didn't immediately find a match when I just googled it.

Attached Files:

14. mborg10

mborg10 Michael Borg

Double up the ground wire with the spare wire. I have been told and have done the same thing.

15. v8manic

v8manic New Elf