LOR RGB 10W flood

nutz4lights

Full time elf
So,

LOR just sent out an email today pertaining to a new RGB flood they are offering for $30...

http://store.lightorama.com/rgbdevices.html

I have been wanting to add some RGB floods for awhile, but haven't because I didn't feel like hacking anything up and didn't want to have a DMX flood. I wanted something that could be run of a DC card like Alan's DC15 or DC30. I have seen the Ray Wu and eBay 10W floods for $15-25 and just couldn't convince myself to go down that path. Now that this LOR flood is out... and it would work off of a DC card... I am tempted... and the price is right as well... Ray's floods would end up costing more to me in the U.S. by the time shipping is included (I'm pretty sure that some of you are getting these cheaper off eBay, but it is still probably close in cost).

So my question is... am I missing something? If you wanted to run a 10W off of a DC card, already somewhat-weather-proofed RGB flood... didn't want DMX... is there anything else out there like this in this price range?

Thanks,

nutz4lights

Full time elf
Their board is $110 for 24 channels. I know cheaper boards can be had, but I don't think there is a cheaper flood out there by the time youfactor in shipping or modification, etc... Guess I will go ahead and order several of these because it doesn't look like I read this one incorrectly...

Thanks!

Louie

Bird

LOR user
I got that email yesterday also. Don't forget you will still need a 12v power source.
But the prices do seem fairly good, especially considering the source. :)
If these items turn out as reliable as their controllers & CCR's, looks like I may have to continue my LOR only lighting collection.

Shanta

New elf
Seems pretty pricy to me considering the controller is extra. HolidayCoro.com has their flood kit for $25, which includes the DMX decoder, and a $10 harbor freight flood housing and you're in business. I guess it's a good deal if you already have DC controller space available. And the HC is only a good deal if you have a DMX source already (sure don't want to plunk down for an Entec just to drive a couple of floods). I have a spare LOR-USB that I'm gonna press into DMX service to drive the HC floods.

nutz4lights

Full time elf
I respectfully disagree, but to each his own. Holiday Coro solution is $5 more and you have to assemble it yourself. If i buy a DC controller for $55 that would control up to ten of these I'm paying the same price you just paid and i didn't have to put anything together. Or a $40 controller for five floods and I'm a few bucks more but i still didn't have to put anything together.

Louie

Shanta

New elf
Oh! Well that's a very helpful point. I hadn't considered driving multiple floods off of a single controller. That does close the gap a bit. Thanks!

jediknight2

Full time elf
nutz4, in the LONG run you would be MUCH better suited to expand if you used NON LOR hardware. Purchase an Enttec Pro (or compatible) or Enttec Open and your good for 170 RGB elements. You could also purchase a e1.31 device like the E6804 that has the ability for DMX output and do even better. Either way, you need to think AHEAD as to what you would like to do or have the ability to do in the future....the LOR path SEVERELY limits your options without spending the money over.

nutz4lights

Full time elf
Jedi, I think you are misunderstanding what I'm asking about. I am not looking at LOR hardware, I am looking at an LOR light. Someone above did mention "you can buy this as a kit with a controller and eight RGB floods for XXX", that was not me. I think I already said this, but I am going with a different DC controller (I have four of the DC30's from AAH on this forum and that is about to become six total DC controllers from him as I'm going to add two DC15's).

When I think hardware that is proprietary to one vendor's protocol, I think mostly of controllers. That light from LOR, assuming it is reasonably priced, which it is, can be plugged into a number of different controllers that have nothing to do with LOR's protocol. It is driven by DC. I can expand into whatever type of DC controller I like. The point of my original post was to say "somebody show me a comparable 10W RGB flood that is already in a housing in the same price range" because I wanted to see if I was missing something.

I have convinced myself that I'm not missing anything. I have DMX out of my seven P12S's. Haven't tried to use it yet. I am mildly comfortable right now with DC RGB, so that is why the LOR flood is appealing to me. I don't have to start using the DMX right now, there is really no point. The fact that I can use this flood with Alan's DC controller cards makes it that much more appealing because I already have four of them.

That being said, I have run LOR hardware since 2005... the last time I had my display up in full was two years ago and involved twelve of their 16-channel PC series controllers that all worked wonderfully. I know their Cosmic Color RGB stuff is WAY over-priced in the eyes of most (including me), but I'm still not seeing a good argument against this 10W flood. The cheapest comparable unit I have found on eBay is $22-25, which is not much less than the LOR unit.

Respectfully,

-Louie

Charl Marais

For my twins was the excuse I started with.
Good solid reasoning and a conclusion I can live by.
Thanks a million for the footwork mate. I think I am going to seriously consider these as well.
Thanks

jediknight2

Full time elf
I misunderstood you. If the flood acts as any other DMX device...then I to believe the price is right. TBH, had the light been available a couple of months ago I probably would have purchased a few.