MagicHome Bud Pixels

aaronwa

Apprentice elf
Hi Peeps!

Running a semi smart display with 2 x ATHOM high Power LED controller with 5 and 12 V pixel strings.

I am using a few of these LytWorx Sets and have managed to snap the lights clean off.

What wires on the string, would correspond with the ATHOM controller?
Controller.jpg
Original MagicHome Wifi Controller

Strand.jpg
LED String

athom controller.jpg
WLED Controller

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Usually the two outer cables are V+ and - and the center one is data. being that all the wires look the same, you might need to do a little trial and error and hope that you get polarity correct. perhaps cut one light off and test it that way so you don't end up killing the entire string by mistake.

aaronwa

Apprentice elf
Thanks, NotEnoughLights. I thought that is usually the case. I will try figuring it out.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
These look like pebble pixels. I would not be surprised if data is one of the edges... I have a different variety and it is the edge because it simplifies assembly... they solder the chip to 3 wires and then cut a notch out of data.
20221112_212856.jpg

aaronwa

Apprentice elf
They're very cool, For something so small they give you amazing light. They call them " bud" light for this brand.

Is there any definitive way to check?

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Definitive way to check is to mess with them... and yes it could be destructive, I have broken a few similar pixels wiring them incorrectly.

If I had to take a guess without wiring them up to see if they work, I would look for these clues:
Is there any slight coppery appearance to any of the conductors? That would indicate it is +V. It can be quite subtle but still be marked. (See the image I posted.)
Can you measure conductivity from one point to another point past a pixel? If you can, the wires that conduct well are +V and -V because they go straight through... you won't get conductivity across data.
Without breaking it, can you open the controller and see if it labels the outputs? That would at least tell you the arrangement, but you'd have to decide which side is up. Or measure the voltage coming out of the controller to see +, -, and one that is just a bit above + that is sort of an average data value... being very careful not to short anything out as you test...
If you have another set that is properly connected, look at which side of the pixel sticks off from the wire. Then track back to the controller to see which side is "up" coming out of there, and what they connect to.

aaronwa

Apprentice elf
I haven't had a chance to look into this. I had to repair some lights after some damage from little HoHoHos. I will have a look at this. and report back :)