Matrix Frame

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Wasn't sure which section this could go.
I'd like to build a set of legs that my 5x5 P10 matrix can stand on so that it can be free standing but help be pinned down by my garage roller door.

I currently use these as 2 legs: https://www.bunnings.com.au/metal-mate-32-x-32-x-1-5mm-0-9m-slotted-black-angle_p1090820 However in the yard it sagged with the heat and weight. I have since used this same angle across the bottom for added support.
This year I'd like to place the matrix in front of our garage door so it can be taken in at night/during the day. To help steady it, I though that the garage door itself could hold it down to prevent it from tipping over.
Here's a side view of the idea I had in mind. If any brainiacs have any ideas how this could be made and what materials to use I'm all ears. Preferably simply the better, IE no welding etc.
View media item 322

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Ah so just bolt both types of brackets back to back to the existing legs? I guess that could work. Would possibly need to drill a couple of common holes for them all to line up but that's no biggie.
If you angle the legs outwards it would give you a bigger footprint. With the sagging more support would be needed.
Already have the additional support bracket so hopefully no longer an issue. Plus by taking it in during the day it's out of the direct heat.
Is a couple of dynabolts into the driveway an option? Just remove and plug the hole when not in use.
Ah, no. Minister of Finance would never approve that!

bbayjohn

Senior elf
Instead of using the roller door you could use sand bags, to hold the legs in place.Would save possible damage to the roller door. Maybe stich together a pillow case and stich in carry handels

videoman3857

Full time elf
Instead of using the roller door you could use sand bags, to hold the legs in place.Would save possible damage to the roller door. Maybe stich together a pillow case and stich in carry handels
Yes. I use "sand bags" to hold our photo opportunity cut outs - don't know what they're called.
You know - the characters of whomever where you insert your face and take your photo,
We and friends of our purchase rice in cloth bags with handles already sewn in. It works a treat.
You just have to eat a lot of rice between now and Christmas display time :p
You can get these from Bunnings. 10 for $8.60
Brutus 850mm x 360mm Sand Bag - 10 Pack

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
I want the matrix to be close as possible to the garage door to protect the back a little more from weather (already covered but like to be safe) so sand bags would probably get in the way. I have a shot bag for when I used to dj for my lighting tree to help keep it sturdy.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.