Matrix frame

mborg10

Michael Borg
I'm doing some house plans for a guy who runs a metal fab shop. As a trade off I'm getting him to make me a few things for the house. One of my plans is a frame for a matrix to go in top of my roof and I'm open to ideas.

My matrix will start off being 12 strips of 2.5m long 60 pixel per m strip. So a matrix of 150x12. In the coming years I will grow the matrix to 150x48.

I'm thinking of spacing my strips at 16.5mm apart (1000mm/60) which would make 12 strips 200mm high.

If I make 2 frames 2.5m long 450mm high out of 25x25x2 shs with some bracing and cover the frame in a mesh fly screen or something and attach the strip to that. The 2 frames can be bolted together for the future expansion.

Any ideas on how I could improve this. I'll also need to come up with some way if mounting it.

battle79

Full time elf
I just used a wooden frame and stapled the mesh to it. I also used bullet style pixels that pushed perfectly into the mesh squares. Currently 53 pixels (Christmas, 5x9 letters, 8x1 spaces) x 12pixels high.

Thinking I might double the height of this so I can add more animations to it this year.

Biggest problem I can see with metal is attaching the mesh to it. Might be easiest to use fly screen window pieces and the rubber tubing and attach that to your frame.

Cheers,
Rowan

arw01

Full time elf
Got photos of the frame you made up? There was a good sale in the States for Coro panels pre-drilled for a matrix that I picked up 3, but I have been wanting something that I could use to make net lights that were at least rgb to wrap a tree trunk.

Perhaps I should just buy some rgb nodes at teh string level and live with it like that, but I want more!

Alan

mborg10

Michael Borg
I want to use strip so I get a high pixel count and they are close together. I'll probably use security mesh which is metal fly screen and pop river it on.