matrix help

lightheaded

New elf
I have 3- 2 foot by 8 foot matrices that I will be putting end to end to create a 2 foot x 24 foot matrix. Each matrix is 48 nodes wide. I don't want to cut the pixels. for each matrix. how would I accomplish this. # strings 12 , nodes per string 144, strands 1. I'm using 12 strings so I wont have to power inject. First time for pixels. My controller is a Falcon f16 v4. I didn't want to continue the left over pixels from the string of 50 pixels to the next matrix panel due to the size of roll it would make.

Thank you

Bill

merryoncherry

Senior elf
I follow most of what you are saying, but not 100%.

Do you expect to take the 3 panels apart for storage?
What do you mean not cut the string? You'd rather leave bulbs hanging somewhere?
How good are you at xlights? Do you want it to be a matrix or are you willing to do a custom model?

lightheaded

New elf
Yes I wanna take it apart for storage. 12volt regulated pixels. I'm just learning xlights . Just don't wanna cut the stings. I'm willing to do a custom model but don't know where to start.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
OK so one thing you might do:
Port 1: 1-48 mounted; leave 49+50 hanging behind; screw together at break; 51-98 mounted; leave 99+100 hanging; screw together; 101-148 mounted; leave 149+150 hanging at the end.
Port 2-12: Same way.

This will require a special xlights custom model so it knows to skip the 2 pairs of extra pixels in the middle of the strings, and the 2 on the end. Then you'll put the matrix submodel in your groups and sequences instead of the main one.

Test your pixels. With the 12V regulators I've tested, this would not run at full 100% white, but with resistors it would. 30%, which a lot of people do, would be fine. Sounds like you don't want to do anything at the far end like PI.

You may have the 12 controller ports to spare to run this matrix, but it's a bit of a waste to do it that way, really, and additional Falcon controllers can be hard to get when you need them. If I did it, I'd send the string out and back (leaving 2 pixels unused in the various places where needed to make the string connections hit panel the boundaries). You'll need to add power back at the start to get all 300 regulators to work well, but you're back to the controller and can easily use it for power. As a fellow lazy person, all I do is use a 3M-3M-3F tee with the data pin pulled out, then you can use a controller port to do the PI, and if you ever decide you need that port for something else you can use a power-only wire to do it.

Port 1: 1-48 mounted; leave 49+50 hanging behind; screw together at break; 51-98 mounted; leave 99+100 hanging; screw together; 101-148 mounted; leave 149+150 hanging; screw together and head back toward the start with 151-198; skip 2; 200-248; skip 2; 250-298; skip 2. Apply power from the same supply to the end, now that it is back to the start.
Port 2-6: Same way.

Now, if you can't get it to work, have trouble with the 2 extra pixels here and there, can't get the model to work; it is quite easy to splice out the extras... you only need 1 splice per string, 36 total, and you'll have created a bunch of repair kits at the same time :-D.

lightheaded

New elf
Tested it with the 150 at 30 percent worked good. I'll be trying that this week I'll let you know how I made out, If not a splicing I will go.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
With the Falcon, I believe you might even be able to get away without the custom model - it should allow you to create virtual strings should let you put in the "null" pixels between the strings without xLights even knowing about it.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
With the Falcon, I believe you might even be able to get away without the custom model - it should allow you to create virtual strings should let you put in the "null" pixels between the strings without xLights even knowing about it.
You can get some controllers to do it, but if you move it or change it you have to redo what you did in the controller. With the custom model, it's a lot easier, you can change how you split it, a lot faster to do in the first place and if you change your mind. Let xlights do the controller for you.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
I'd do this, or similar. I pushed all the unused lights toward the end away from the controller; this was arbitrary.
With it this way you could use 6 or 3 controller ports to run it, do PI with controller ports if you want or use wires off the controller power supply.
If you really want to run the 12 ports all headed away from the controller, you could change the model a bit and do that.

Attachments

• MatrixWithSkips.zip
    4.5 KB · Views: 4

Giles1

Giles
Generous elf
Another way you could do it is to just get 2 x 100 standard Pixels strings, and then get a custom string made up at 88 Pixels. (Just to ensure your matrix size: 48 long x 6 high) These Pixels could then be run as per a standard Matrix setup (zigzagged).

Otherwise, if you’re planning to use one port per Matrix, you could just cut off the last 12 Pixels and seal the wires. Or, if you set up your Matrix in xLights with 288 Pixels, it should then just ignore the other 12 Pixels at the end (I think).

As for Power Injection, you could add something like this (T-piece power injector) at each joint. If you are planning to run the Pixels at 30%, this shouldn’t exceed the 5Amp fuse on each port of the Falcon, so all the power for each Matrix could come off the one port. If that is the case, I would also suggest putting 3 x “T-piece power injectors” (including one at the start) into each Matrix. You could then bleed power from the first joint (before Pixel-1) and then feed the power back into the next two joints, by just commoning up the + & - wires. (e.g., the power comes out from the first T-piece, and is then connected to the second and then the third T-piece, so they all share the same power)

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Another way you could do it is to just get 2 x 100 standard Pixels strings, and then get a custom string made up at 88 Pixels. (Just to ensure your matrix size: 48 long x 6 high) These Pixels could then be run as per a standard Matrix setup (zigzagged).
I thought the idea was the 50-count strings were already purchased, and desire is to use the screw-together connections at the panel joints so the matrix can be taken apart without pulling any pixels out.

Giles1

Giles
Generous elf
I thought the idea was the 50-count strings were already purchased, and desire is to use the screw-together connections at the panel joints so the matrix can be taken apart without pulling any pixels out.
How many Pixels in each Matrix? I thought there were 288 Nodes (48 x 6) in each Matrix, but I must have it wrong.

lightheaded

New elf
I assumed 2" spacing because "2 foot by 8 foot matrices", "each matrix is 48 nodes wide"... so that's 2". Also "# strings 12" which I assumed is 2" spacing in the 2' direction.
That is correct. Just want to be able to break it down easily. I'm try to do virtual strings , but it not showing up in the visualizer. I'm able to create virtual strings in my controller software, but it won't download so it is not showing up in xlights. I dont mind using up 12 ports, because that's all I'm planning on doing (subject to change). I can upload from xlights to my controller, but not the other way.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Use the custom model, way less brittle than virtual strings.
You can wire it all from one end, and not zigzag, but then you'll probably always do 12 ports with it. Just adjust the model accordingly.